01

Chapter one New FriendsLacey's POV:"Anika, I don't want to go

Chapter one
New Friends
Lacey's POV:
"Anika, I don't want to go. I'm tired." I groaned. Anika rolled her eyes and said "Lace, you deserve some fun too. All you do is study." "I don't want to go to a party." "It's not a party. We're going to go hang out at my brother's dorm." Mindy said. I had met Mindy through Anika and now Mindy decided to introduce me to her friend group, well Anika did. I shook my head and said "I shouldn't impose." "Lace, come on. You can't be hanging out with me all the time. As much as I love you, I think my friends will love you too. I'm willing to share." Anika said. I sighed softly and said "who all will be there?" "Mindy's brother Chad, Chad's roommate Ethan." "So, boys?" "Tara will be there." Anika poked my arm. I was very fond of Tara. She was always so nice to me and the two of us could barely get through art class together without laughing for the entire period. "I guess I'll go." I said. Anika squealed and said "yay! And I did your eyeliner so good." I shook my head and then said "is this skirt ok? I feel like I should wear pants." "No, the skirt looks hot. So hot." Mindy complimented. I nodded and the three of us headed to Chad's dorm. Mindy walked in and made herself at home. My nerves were bubbling up in my stomach. I wasn't shy or anything but was always apprehensive meeting friends of friends. It almost never went well for me. "Boys, this is Lacey." Anika introduced me. Chad looked up at me and said "hey, I'm Chad." I smiled at him and said "hi." "I've heard a lot about you from Anika. She can't keep your name out of her mouth." I looked at Anika who said "it was all good things I promise." "Ethan!" Chad yelled. "Yeah?" A voice called. "The girls are here! You gotta meet Lacey!" "I'm busy!" "Studying? Get your ass out here!" Tara giggled softly and said "hi, Lace." "Hi, Tara." I smiled at her. A tall curly headed boy made his way down the hall and into the living room. His eyes landed on me and a shy smile appeared on his lips. His cheeks tinted pink and Chad said "Ethan, say hi to Lacey." Ethan approached me and said "hi. I'm Ethan." I waved shyly and said "I'm Lacey." Ethan smiled and Mindy said "so, what movie are we watching tonight?" Anika quickly left my side to suggest a film. "Do you like scary movies?" Ethan asked me. I nodded and said "mmm-hmm. You?" "Uh-huh." Ethan mimicked my nod, his curls bouncing on top of his head. "I think we have math together." I thought about it and said "yeah. I think we do. You sit on the far side of the room, right?" "Yeah. You're kind of in the center." Ethan put his hands in his pockets as he spoke. "Yeah. I do. I'm sorry I never introduced myself. I didn't know you knew Anika. Otherwise I definitely would've said something. I wasn't being rude, I promise." I quickly said. Ethan shook his head and said "you're ok. You're kind of intimidating." I furrowed my eyebrows and said "oh. Is that bad?" "No. I meant it in a good way. You look irritated sometimes in class and then other times you look bored. But for the most part you just look intimidating but not in a bad way." Ethan said. I chuckled softly and said "I have a resting bitch face, Ethan. I'm sorry if I came off that way. I also am very bad at math." Ethan laughed and said "I get it. Math can be hard. Especially with the teacher we have." "God, he sucks!" The both of us laughed and Chad said "are you two gonna chit chat all night or watch the movie with us?" Ethan flipped off his roommate who pretended to be hurt. Tara handed me a bowl of popcorn and said "you and Ethan can share." I looked to Ethan who shrugged and said "that's cool." Chad and Ethan's living room was full of furniture. Couches and chairs. Mindy and Anika laughed as they went to sit on the large beanbag that sat adjacent from the couch. Ethan and I sat on the couch and Tara and Chad were on the other couch. "Oh my god! Not Hereditary!" Chad groaned. Ethan exhaled and said "let's watch something different." "Scared?" I teased. Ethan looked at me and said "no. I just don't care for Hereditary." "The Witch!" Tara suggested. I shook my head and said "no! God that movie sucked!" Tara narrowed her eyes at me and said "it did not." "I've got a better one for you all. The Thing!" Mindy said dramatically. I quickly leaned over to high five Mindy. "Yes!" I cheered. Tara rolled her eyes and Chad said "fine." Anika pushed her hair over her shoulder and said "aliens vs flamethrowers!" "I've never seen this." Ethan said. Mindy's mouth dropped and I gasped dramatically. "You've never seen The Thing?!" Ethan shook his head and said "no. Should I have?" "I mean, if you're a horror movie fan." Ethan smiled sheepishly and said "must've missed that one." "Whatever. I'm putting it on." Mindy said. I half smiled at Ethan and said "hey, it's ok if you've never seen The Thing. I waited until I was nineteen to watch it because the movie scared me so much. I saw this one clip of the movie and it ruined me." "What was the scene?" A small ounce of fear spread across his face and I said "you'll see." Mindy set up the movie and it began playing. I leaned back against the couch and Ethan watched the movie intently. I reached for a handful of popcorn as the dog snuck around the outpost. "What does that mean?" Ethan said as the dog walked into a room with an unknown person. "Shh! You'll see." Mindy said. Ethan adjusted his body and the movie went on. "God!" Chad said as the dog turned into a mutated thing. Ethan watched his his mouth hanging open. "Gross." Tara added. "Y-You like this movie?!" Ethan spluttered. I nudged him and said "it's good. I promise." He exhaled and the movie went on. With Bennings turning into the thing and the entire group suspecting MacReady. Now it was time for the titular moment. The chest scene. I tensed up and Ethan said "is this the scene?" I nodded and a small smirk appeared on his lips. His eyes would flicker from me to the screen and I pretended not to notice. When Copper went to revive Norris was when Ethan's mouth dropped. Norris' chest opened up and chomped off Copper's arms. Ethan stared in complete shock, not knowing how to process the scene in front of him. The movie continued to go on and when it ended Ethan was mine blown. "I've never seen a movie like that." He said. Chad sighed and said "you're lucky. Mindy used to make me watch this movie all the time." Everyone laughed and I went to leave when Anika and Mindy. "It was nice to meet you guys." I told Chad and Ethan. "You too." Chad said. Ethan smiled shyly and said "hopefully we'll see you around." I nodded and said "for sure."

-

"What's the plan for this weekend?" My best friend Kaya said. She also shared the dorm with me, Anika and a girl named Jenny. Kaya Celeste was my best friend since high school and we were lucky to end up going to the same college. The two of us were sitting outside in the grass, having a break between classes. I shrugged and said "I don't know. Anika will find something for us to do or plan something." Kaya nodded and I looked down at my notebook, making sure I got the notes for the day. Turns out I didn't. I was too busy zoning out in math class. "Shit!" I said. "What's up?" Kaya asked. "I didn't get the notes in math class today. I was on another planet." "Hi, Lacey." Ethan's voice said. I looked up at the curly haired boy and said "Ethan, hi." "How are you?" "I'm good. You?" He shrugged and said "I'm good. Class could be going better though. Econ is draining my soul." "Econ? You take Econ?!" Kaya snorted. Ethan looked at her and nervously smiled. "Uhm, yeah. I do. Is-is that a bad thing?" "Ethan, this is my friend Kaya. Or Kai. She goes by Kai. Kai, this is Ethan. I met him the other night when Anika took me to movie night." I introduced. Kai nodded at him and Ethan did the same. I remembered that Ethan was in my math class. Maybe he'd let me copy his notes. "Ethan?" His brown eyes went to me. "So, I didn't get the notes today. In math. Uhm, is there anyway I could copy yours? If not it's ok. I could get from someone else or just fail the lesson completely. I hate the class anyway so how will I ever be able to pass it?" I rambled. Ethan chuckled at my rambling and said "sure. You can copy my notes. You seemed kinda...spacey today." I stood up so he wouldn't have to look down at me. "Yeah. Math makes my mind wander. I go to another planet." Ethan shrugged and said "I'm kind of like that in Econ." I laughed softly and then said "so, should I come to yours to get the notes or did you want to meet somewhere in school? Or a restaurant? Or something?" Ethan shrugged and said "you can come by my dorm. Chad is usually always playing video games in his room or is out doing his sports stuff." "You don't play sports?" I quipped. Ethan shook his head and said "no. Sports isn't my thing. But, yeah you can come over and get the notes." "Thank you. I really appreciate this. You barely know me and...yeah." "It's no problem. So, when did you want to come and get them?" "Whenever is convenient for you." "Tonight or tomorrow. I'll leave it up to you." I nodded and said "ok. Cool." Ethan went to reply when Chad grabbed him, almost jumping on his back. Ethan stumbled forward and said "Chad, quit!" "Come on! I gotta talk to you about something." Chad then noticed Kai and I. "Hey, ladies." He smirked. I smiled and said "hi, Chad." A smirk tugged at Kai's lips and she said "hello." "Do you guys mind if I steal Ethan?" "Go right ahead." I told him. The two boys then walked away and I sat back down next to Kai. "I didn't know you knew Chad Meeks-Martin." Kai said. I shrugged and said "I met him the other night along with Ethan. I don't really know either one of them." "Should we head back to the dorm?" Kai said. I nodded and the two of us went back to our dorm.

-

"Lacey, thank god you're here!" Tara said. I furrowed my eyebrows and Kai went towards her bedroom. "What's up?" I asked. Tara sighed and said "so, there's this party this weekend. And I saw you have this really cute necklace and sweater. Could I borrow them? Please?" I walked into my bedroom and said "you've been snooping." "You have way cuter clothes than I do! Are you even going to go?" Tara said. I shrugged. "I don't know. I don't go to parties." "You gotta go to this one! One of Chad's friends is throwing it and then he'll be throwing one in a couple of weeks." She said. I set my stuff down and said "I don't know." "Ugh, please, Lace!" "Show me the stuff you want to borrow." Tara pulled a low cleavage showing sweater out of my closet and pointed to a black glittery heart necklace. I nodded at her and she jumped up and down. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" She set the sweater on my bed and hugged me. "You're welcome." I hugged her back. She then sat down on the bed next to me and gave me a serious look. I gave her a confused look. "What?" "Do you have a boyfriend?" I laughed and said "no." "Have you ever had one?" "Yes, Tara. I have. It was back in high school." "Is there anyone here at school that's caught your eye?" I shook my head and said "no. Not yet. Why?" "No reason. Just curious." I shook out my curly hair and said "is there anything else you needed, Tara?" "Nope. That was it. And please think about going to this party." Tara left my room and I sighed, falling back onto my bed.

This chapter is kinda slow. I know. But I went to build up chemistry with the characters and don't want to rush into the events of the movie because I've only seen once and want it to be accurate.
~skylar🖤🔪🖤🔪