A thousand suns, 2.3

"There's 301 passengers on board

"There's 301 passengers on board."

"And there's been no communication from them?" Hotch stated rather than asked.

He and the rest of the team were aware that this flight could easily befall the same fate as Trans Alliance Flight 420 if they didn't act quickly enough.

"Not since the order to ground all flights was made." Was the answer Agent Hosswell gave.

"How long have they been out of touch?"

"Eleven minutes."

***

Without much else to do, Rossi, Morgan, Ivie and JJ had started monitoring the media's coverage of the crash.

"The media's talking more about equipment failure now." JJ noted.

"Good to know some things go according to plan." Said Rossi in a half-joking tone. "Hopefully the UnSub will poke his head up."

Morgan's phone started ringing.

"Hey baby girl, what'd you got?"

"Kristina Morrow went on a blind date with an aerospace engineer eight years ago. You're gonna ask me how I know that, and I'm gonna tell you it's because she posted about the world's worst blind date on Facebook."

"So Pen, who's the guy?" Ivie questioned

"His name's Hayman Vasher, and shortly after this wildly unromantic and awkward dinner, he quit his job and dropped out of society, like completely."

"The way Ted Kaczynski did?" Queried JJ.

"Oh, call them twins." Penelope replied. "Both math geniuses, social outcasts, anarchist views. However, Vasher is not anti-technology.  When he was still online, he posted a lot about his affinity for Oppenheimer."

Rossi had come to a realisation, "Now the quote makes complete sense. If he admires Oppenheimer, then he wants to destroy the masses in the same way. This is his version of the atomic bomb."

"Wait a minute." Morgan paused, "All of this was just to get back at a girl who rejected him?"

"I'd say she was just the trigger for his societal retraction. He would have done this sooner if it was just her." Ivie commented.

Penelope started talking again with a crackle from Morgan's phone.

"Did I say affinity for Oppenheimer? 'Cause I'm finding out more things. I'm gonna take that back and call it a full-blown obsession. He analysed how Oppenheimer went from being a socially awkward scientist to a revered and powerful man through intellectual achievement."

"Vasher wants to transform the same way, so for the last eight years he's probably been working on his hacking software." Morgan stated.

"So to ensure it was perfect he used Kristina's flight as a practice run." Ivie followed up.