A thousand suns, 2.0

RING RING

RING RING

"Hey Pen what's up? Do you want me to grab you something, coffee? A pastry?" Ivie asked.

'No, it's okay, but something bad happened, everyone's meeting at the plane."

She could sense the anxiety in Penelope's voice, it was also unusual for her to be so vague.

"OK, I'll be there ASAP. I'm in the car so I'll be fast, talk to you soon Pen. I'm sure you've got this."

Quickly the ignition of the small red car was turned on and the youngest member of the team was on her way.

***

Walking up two steps at once, Ivie boarded the plane. As soon as she entered the cabin she saw that everyone had arrived apart from JJ, and Garcia was waiting on the screen on the main table next to Hotch, the pair being the most likely to commence the briefing.

Trying to not sit in the way of Penelope's view of everyone, she slipped into the closest possible seat which just so happened to be right next to Reid.

"Hey."

"Hi." Reid responded with another little wave, much the same as the first time the pair had met. Before the two could start a conversation JJ entered the plane and quickly sat down opposite them next the Hotch and the laptop which was hosting Garcia.

"All right, let's go Garcia." Aaron prompted.

"Trans Alliance flight 420 just crashed in a Colorado field, northwest of Durango."

"Did anyone survive?" Evans questioned.

"152 passengers, all presumed dead."

An eerie silence fell over the cabin of the BAU's jet. Derek was the first one to speak:

"Where was it coming from?"

"Pittsburg. It was going to Phoenix." Penelope replied.

"So it happened in mid-flight?"

JJ spoke with a mix of disbelief and scepticism, "The plane just fell out of the sky?"

"That's highly unusual..."

The sudden loudness from Reid right next to her jolted Ivie back from her mind into reality.

"80 per cent of plane crashes happen within 3 minutes of takeoff or 8 minutes of landing."

"Well," Garcia continued "An early call came into local law enforcement from a witness who said he saw a 'streak of light' in the sky just before the crash."

"Surface-to-air missile."

Everyone was thinking the same thing but Morgan was the first to say the words aloud. Rossi had been silent since he got on the plane, but following  that comment, he spoke up.