Chapter 28

Violet

"I have to go." I laugh pushing Aless away from my neck.

"Don't go." He whines stealing another kiss. "I need to open the bakery." I smile at his neediness.

"Take Brock with you?" His fingers mindlessly twirl a strand of my hair as I stand between his legs.

"I already texted him, he's getting the car ready." He nods, his hands dropping to tightly grip me. "Be safe ok?"

"I will." I assure kissing his forehead. "I'll have Brock with me twenty-four seven."

"Alright." He sighs dropping his hands. "I love you."

"I love you." I grin. I give him one last peck before leaving.

Brock's my new bodyguard as of yesterday apparently the one I had before stared at me too long. Brock though, he doesn't talk. Like at all.

"Hey Brock? Do you want water?" I had asked him yesterday when he was with me in class. We walked from campus to the hospital and he just looked at me for half a second and shook his head.

He stood in the corner the entire time I was with the preemie babies. "Brock you know you can sit, you don't have to stand the entire time." My shifts are really long.

He looked at me and shook his head.

Can he talk? Does he know how?

"Good morning!" I chirp smiling at the brooding man. He tips his chin in acknowledgment.

I will get him to talk.

He opens the car door for me letting me hop in before closing the door. He rounds the car getting into the front seat and drives us to the bakery.

Today will just be me and one of our employees. Since our employees are mostly college students many of them call in sick this time of year to prepare for finals.

"Hi Violet." Alyssa smiles as Brock and I approach the front door. "You look amazing." She compliments as her eyes run down my light green maternity dress.

"Thank you." I smile and unlock the bakery. We both walk in, me taking the back while she works the register.

"Brock, would you like a muffin?" I question kneading the dough on the counter. I look up in time to catch him shaking his head. 

"Are you sure?" His eyes flicker to the dough on the counter and he gives a little nod of his chin. "A donut? Or something to drink?" His lip curls up the slightest bit as he shakes his head.

I put the dough in the fridge to rise and start on a cake batter. I put the two pans in the oven for half an hour and take out the Oreo ice cream. Ice cream cakes are our biggest hit.

I cut a circular shape out of the ice cream the same size as the cake and stack them. I cover the cake with vanilla butter cream and frosting adding chocolate shavings to the top.

"Violet?" Alyssa peaks her head into the back, "Julie and Grey are here." I perk up and head towards the front.

"Hey, you two. What's up?" I smile at them. Grey bounces on his feet excitedly, "Jules turned fourteen!"

If I remember correctly her birthday was yesterday, "happy belated." I grin enveloping her in a hug. "Thank you." She blushes.

"Did you guys celebrate?"

"No." She sighs, "mom and dad went on another trip, they left yesterday morning."

"I'm sorry sweetie." I frown feeling my heart ache for the two. "I have a surprise for you."