Chapter 18

Violet

"Breathe." Aless reminds me skimming his fingers across my cheeks, calming me down. In five minutes we'll know the genders of the babies. Five freaking minutes.

"I'm freaking out." I look around the backyard seeing dozens of people surround the pink and blue decorated tables. "I've heard of gender disappointment, what if I'm disappointed? I don't want to be disappointed."

"You won't be, you love them. But if you are we'll work through it, their genders won't affect how much you love them, yes?"

I nod finding peace in the sincerity of his voice. "Yes, right." He grabs me by the hand leading me to the treat covered table. He picks up a chocolate covered strawberry -my favorite- and brings it up to my lips.

"Be exited, amore. After today we can pick out names and buy all the clothes and nursery decorations you've been waiting to buy." Alessandro's words make me melt into his chest. His right. My love for my babies won't change upon knowing the genders.

"Have you got any names in mind?" I ask watching a small smile grow on his lips. His eyes twinkle as they flicker to my stomach. "I've thought of something, when we know the genders I'll tell you." His lips briefly come into contact with my forehead as Freya calls us to the middle of the yard.

Everyone huddles up in the center. Two large back balloons are held down by weights. Both say baby A in cursive font. Two other balloons are held to the side with the same font saying baby B.

I wipe my palms on the sides of my dress as Aless and I walk into the middle. "You got this hermanita." Joel  cheers as we approach the center.

I send him a grateful smile as Aless and I each stand by a balloon. The big projector behind us displays a five second countdown.

Five. I see Grey and Julie eating cupcakes while grinning at me.

Four. Mama and Freya stare at us in awe.

Three. Oak and Seb hug each other close in anticipation.

Two. B bounces with excitement.

One. Aless grabs hold of my chin, kissing me passionately as we pop both balloons at the same time.

Everyone erupts into cheers, my eyes slowly flutter open as I look up. "A baby girl." I whisper. My eyes sting with tears as I feel the light pink confetti land on my face.

"A baby girl." Aless repeats chuckling. My smile grows as I look over at him. "A girl." I restate feeling excitement bubble in my chest. He cups my face as our moms replace the balloons with the new ones. He softly presses his lips to mine making me melt into him.

"I should have dressed in pink." I hear oak mumble solemnly. Seb pats his back reassuringly. "You still have fifty percent chance of getting it right." That brings a smile to Oaks face.

Mama places the balloon in front of me. Her eyes teary as she looks at me, "my baby girl all grown up, having one of her own." Her lip trembles making my eyes own tears fall.

"You're a grandma." I chuckle as my tears roll down my cheeks. She chuckles with me, eventually retuning back next to Joel and Freya.

The five second count down starts again. Joel's eyes are filled with astonishment, mama and Freya both look teary, Brie and Jenna squeal with each second, Oak and Seb watch attentively as the seconds count down, Mateo holds Niko who babbles his ear off, Grey and Julie sing along with the count down.

Aless looks over at me, his own eyes looking hazy as we pop the last balloons. Everything happens in slow motion. My heart beats wildly against my rib cage as I slowly look up to reveal the color. Specks of pink papers fly everywhere making a happy cry leave my lips. "Two baby girls."