Chapter 13

It had been a month since I'd left London.

I held up my end and resigned from Wolfe and moved out of the estate that same week. Valene had bawled her eyes out when I explained to her what had happened. She blamed herself for pushing me in his direction.

I assured her it was my own inexperience that was my downfall. Killian played his charm card and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. If I'd had more experience with men, I would have at least had my guard up. I wouldn't fall for it a second time. I'd make sure of it.

I'd managed to get a pretty decent apartment and was going to school full time since I had less than a year again before I completed my masters degree. After that, maybe I'll travel a bit and the settle down in another firm.

It was finally time for me to enjoy my life for a while. Plus, one of the guys in my class asked me out to dinner. Wanting to get Killian out of my mind for good, I'd readily accepted.

But getting dressed that night made me wonder if I'd acted a lifted to hastily. Still I zipped myself up in a short navy cold shoulder dress just as the doorbell rang.

A glance at my watch told me that James was early. I frowned. I didn't like feeling rushed getting ready for a date.

Puffing out a breath in a slight annoyance, I went to the door in bare feet and pulled it open fully expecting my date.

Instead I froze at the sight of Killian in jeans and polo. What?

I tried to close the door and he slapped a hand on it preventing it from moving.

"What the hell do you want?" I didn't even attempt to be nice, and how did he find me?

"Can we just talk, Nila?" His voice was low, pleading. My body responded instantly annoying me further.

"We have nothing to talk about." I stated, hands on my hips since the door wouldn't budge, "besides, I have a date in a few minutes and you're making me late."

His eyes narrowed.

"A date? With who?"

I rolled my eyes and turned back inside throwing my hands up in the air.

"I'm not doing this with you."

He must have followed me in because in heard the door close and then footsteps followed me to my living room.

"Good then you can just listen."

I turned to glare at him.

"Why can't you just leave me alone, Killian?" I shouted, "you got what you wanted. You don't need anything else from me."

"You're wrong." He said and his eyes met mine, "I want everything from you."

I shook my head not understanding.

"What?"

He scrubbed a hand over his face and it was then I noticed that stubble on his cheeks and chin as if he hadn't shaved in a week. In fact, he looked miserable.

"I came to apologize, Nila. I acted like an ass and I took out my temper and frustration on you. I'm sorry."

It was not what I was expecting. I'd already made up my mind not to forgive him if he ever did have the courage to apologize. But having him here, in person, broke down the walls I'd painstakingly built up over the past month.

"You did more than act like an ass Killian." I countered, "you used me."

He shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

"I know it seems that way and maybe I did want to use you- for my own personal agenda, but things changed somewhere along the way, love." He explained, "I fell in love with you."