Chaper 11 - Coming Clean

Start from the beginning

I was so in awe at the sight, I hadn't noticed Sebastian stop in front of me.
I walked into him with a small thud, causing me to groan as I rubbed my head.
"Sorry. Why did you -" I was cut off as Sebastian reached behind him and grabbed my arm, keeping me close behind him.
I blushed at the sudden contact, but I was also confused by this action.
Ominis had seemed to stop too, but neither of them had said a word.

I managed to peek around Sebastian, even if only for a moment, and I saw a dark figure blocking the road.
They seemed to be staring straight at us, their hands behind their back.
Could it be a thief? Or a poacher looking for revenge? Maybe even someone looking to kidnap some students?
My mind raced as I thought of all the possibilities.

"Who are you?" Ominis called out, irritation evident in his voice.
I heard the person laugh slightly, then footsteps slowly getting closer.

"You needn't mind that, Mr.Gaunt. I am not here to harm you." they said, their footsteps stopping again.
I recognised the voice, it sounded like a woman, but I couldn't quite place where I had heard it before.

"Does that mean you're here to harm someone then?" Sebastian asked, his grip on my arm tightening, trying to tell me to stay in place.
"Not at all. I was actually just waiting to have a chat with someone" they paused for a moment, then I heard them take another set closer.
"And I believe that someone is behind you, Mr.Sallow"
I froze for a moment as they admitted they were after me.
A thousand more reasons as to why whizzing around my head.

"And what did you want to talk about?" Sebastian snapped, his grip remaining strong.
"Well, if you must know, I am from the Ministry of Magic. We have been investigating the motives of a Goblin named Ranrok. No doubt you've heard of him..."

Something in my mind clicked.
How had I not realised sooner?

"What does that have to do with anything?" Sebastian asked
"Your late Professor Fig had mentioned something about what he was after. After his death, we decided to look through his belongings, to see if he had any further insight..."

Please, not now.
Not here.

"It seems as though he had met a student that could wield ancient magic. Naturally, this has piqued our interest."

No.

"When assigning someone to investigate, I was put forward. At first, I thought it was due to my connection to the school."

I'm so sorry, Sebastian.

"So imagine my surprise when I find out that the student is none other than my squib sister."

Sebastian's grip on my arm faltered.
I could practically see the shocked expression on his face.
I peeked around him once again, jumping slightly as I saw how close she was now.
I could see her face fully now.
She really looked like our mother.

"Sage... now is not the time" I tried to sound as firm as I could, but there was still a shakiness about my voice.
She smirked at this response.
"Hello to you too. Seems like you're still causing trouble" she held her cocky expression as she stood there, looking down on me like she always had.
It made me feel so small.

"And you're still looking for it" I glared at her, which only seemed to spur her on.
"I will admit, that is why I took on this job in the first place. But I never would have guessed it would lead me to you." she looked me up and down, a slight look of disgust washing over her features.
"All dressed in Slytherin robes, associating with pure-bloods. Mother and father would be proud" she held a sarcastic tone, causing me to roll my eyes.
I took Sebastian's shock as an opportunity to snatch my arm back, storming infront of him so Sage and I were face-to-face.
"You really just couldn't wait to bring them up, could you?" I growled, anger starting to burn inside me, which is exactly what she wanted.
"Looks like someone finally grew a backbone." she commented, her grin returning.
"I just want to know how someone like you ends up with a type of magic that hasn't been seen in centuries." she continued, a glare forming in her eyes as she bent down to my level.