Prorities

Chapter: 18

The silence that followed after Kylee left the office seemed to stretch on forever.

Zack had been having a hard time processing the fact that the serum had taken its effect, but he knew that eventually, he would accept it. Seeing the way Kylee had changed though, was something he didn't think he would accept easily. It was the exact opposite of the Kylee he knew and he couldn't just change the image of someone he had known his whole life.

He didn't know what to do, what to say, or even what to believe, so he just stood there, staring at the doorway where Kylee had disappeared. He couldn't interpret his thoughts and his mind kept replaying the moment that had just occurred over and over again.

It was a while before a voice broke the silence. "What now?" it was Tyler.

Zack blinked, clearing his head, and looked at Mr. Brown who seemed weary. "We do as she said."

Stella was the fastest to react to that. "What?" she said, turning to Mr. Brown, the incredulity in her eyes evident.

"We need to change our priorities, Stella. Continuing to go after Kylee will be pointless now." Zack didn't completely agree with him, but he didn't intervene, either.

"So, you're just gonna give up on her?" Stella asked. Zack knew that her anger was rising slowly but steadily and that would cause her to be insensible.

"I never said that. I said we need to change our priorities. We won't give up on her, Autumn will work on the cure side-by-side but for now, our main focus is NSA, not Kylee," Mr. Brown said clearly although it didn't do anything to help Stella's anger.

"So, that's all she is to you now," she said, scoffing. "Another thing on your to-do list."

"You're being emotional, Stella. If you let your emotions cloud your thinking—"

"Kylee's been my best friend for my whole life and after what I saw her change into, I have a right to be emotional!" Stella exclaimed, breathing heavily. Zack stepped forward, wincing when he felt the pain in his shoulder. He'd been too preoccupied with his thoughts, barely having time to properly treat his wound. He ignored the pain and gently touched Stella's arm, trying to get her to relax. Her eyes glittered with tears that he knew she was having trouble holding in.

"Stel, calm down," he said and at the same time, Tyler walked over and placed a hang on her shoulder, whispering softly in her ear. She closed her eyes and inhaled sharply. Zack noticed the way her hands curled into fists, her fingernails digging deeper into her palms as she fought to get a hold of herself.

Mr. Brown looked at her for a moment before continuing, "We're already short on time. We know that NSA plans fast and brilliantly. We can only imagine what is to come next." He paused for a moment, thinking, before turning his head to Cole who was standing next to Quinn. Zack's eyes reflexively followed his gaze before he could wish he hadn't. He didn't hold any grudge against Cole; the guy had helped Kylee escape NSA and saved Zack's life. It wasn't the sight of him that caused the burning in Zack's chest. It was the sight of how close he was standing to Quinn. "What do you think their next move will be?"

"NSA never gives up on its goals, no matter what," Cole started. "Even if we have Lynn, Carlos, Archer, and Abbey, they'll find a way to lure them back."

"Lure them back?" Miles asked with an eyebrow raised.

Cole sighed before saying, "That agency knows how to mess with people's brains. They find their weaknesses and attack them there. I know for sure they knew how to keep these guys on their leash."

"That's a fun thought," Archer muttered sarcastically. Zack noticed the change in his mood since he met his sister. His anger issues seemed to have vanished and he suspected his sarcasm was the real key element of his personality.