Prom Night

Chapter: 09

Kylee sighed and sat back. The teacher’s voice just flew over her head. She couldn’t make any sense out of it even if she wanted to. Partly because she had zoned out in so many lectures before this that she had no idea what the teacher was going on about and also because just like in the previous lectures, she was too drained to focus.

She kept her heavy eyelids forcefully apart and let her brain wander into the mountain of various thoughts. Most of them were about the three teenagers and Lynn, and their scars. They were all in grave danger but the three profiles in the file couldn’t be reached within time. According to Zack who had tracked down their GPS, the Asian boy – Carlos Feng – lived in Detroit, and the blond boy – Archer Evans – in Chicago while the girl – Abigail Collins – lived in Miami.

Mr. Brown had said that NSA’s technology was more advanced – which Kylee had seen during her short stay at the opposition – and that they would be able to get to the three quicker than them. So, he tried thinking of a way in which he could interpret NSA’s mission to get them or hold off their agents long enough for the three teenagers to find a safe place.

Zack offered to track the three of them down. Mr. Brown didn’t deny the help and said that the best point to attack the agents of NSA was when they were near their agency. If their guard was going to be down at any time, it would be then.

Wyatt, Tyler, and Quinn were assigned the mission since Autumn was still working on the cure to the possession serum. It didn’t surprise Kylee that a mission as risky as this one would be assigned to them since they were the only four-star agents in the agency. Though Kylee and her friends had been approved after a single training session, they weren’t ready for missions like this one. They would need to train better for it.

The rest of Kylee’s thoughts were about prom. There was only a day left. Under normal circumstances, she would’ve felt a little, if not a lot, excited but she felt as if she didn’t have the energy for even that. The only thing that made her think about prom was that Zack might open up to Quinn about his feelings.

She noticed how in front of everyone, he would avoid Quinn’s gaze, especially if Cole was with her. But when no one was looking, he would look at her and keep looking until Kylee nudged him with her arm. She knew that as time went by, his feelings for her would develop and reach a point where he wouldn’t be able to hold them in. That was why he had to tell her.

Kylee hadn’t talked to Wyatt alone either although she didn’t know what she would say to him. That she was fine? That fighting for control when her mother was trying to possess her was normal? It wasn’t a while until she realized that she didn’t want to talk to him alone. She just wanted to be with him alone. She just wanted him to embrace her, wanted to breathe into him in silence, and forget what the world was about to throw at her…

Flora hadn’t tried to reach out to her again, so Kylee assumed either she was planning something big or waiting for it. She tried to hope it would be neither but she knew better than that. She knew her mother better than that. She knew she was going to face something unbearable. And she knew she would face it soon.

The sound of the bell ringing brought her out of her thoughts. She sighed, silently cursing herself for not even trying to pay attention during the lecture. She stood up and gathered her things, swinging her bag over her shoulder.

She made her way outside the class and her eyes immediately searched for her friends. She spotted Zack at his locker and walked toward him. He seemed deep in thought as he put his books back in his locker. He didn’t notice Kylee until she reached him and clicked her fingers in front of his face, snapping him out of his thoughts.