Panic Attack

Chapter: 14

Autumn had claimed that she didn’t have a proper cure for the paralytic poison but that she could hinder the spreading. It turned out, she didn’t need a proper cure. She’d given Kylee a few shots of something that made her dizzy but she said that it would stop the paralytic poison from reaching her heart.

The shots had weakened the poison until it dissolved itself. When Kylee tried to move her fingers again and it worked, it felt like breaking the barriers that held her back from freedom. It started with her hands, toes, arms, and legs and slowly, she was able to move her whole body.

Kylee knew that Tyler had shown Archer, Abbey – as she wanted to be called – and Carlos to their rooms and that they were getting settled in but she also knew that there was no way they could accept the fact that they would be stripped from their old lives and stay here until they were safe – and no one knew when that would be.

And she was right.

Though it had only been a day since they’d got here, Kylee had lost count of the number of times Archer had complained about being here and asked them to take him back to Chicago. Kylee, whose patience was limited especially under the current circumstances, had snapped at him numerous times but he never seemed to get the hint.

Oddly, it wasn’t her who was annoyed with him the most. It was Autumn. Each time he tried to talk them into taking him back to Chicago, Autumn would shoot him such a glare he was lucky looks couldn’t kill. Even when he wasn’t complaining, his presence alone seemed to put her in a bad mood.

On the other hand, Zack and Quinn were healing steadily though not healed enough to move around a lot. Chloe was still at the agency, glued to Zack’s side. Kylee knew why. Chloe hated being surrounded by strangers. She’d get nervous, started playing with her fingers, and, if it was too crowded, could even have trouble breathing or get panic attacks.

Unless Casey was with her but Kylee couldn’t call him to the agency. She still hadn’t explained Chloe to Mr. Brown; bringing Casey to the agency would only add more fuel to the fire.

Autumn had given her one of her old novels to help her out with the anxiety. She was reading it right now, sitting by Zack’s bed, a few strands of her hair falling away from its fastening, looking golden in the reflected light. She shifted and Kylee caught a glimpse of the title. A Tale of Two Cities.

Kylee hadn’t read the book herself but it must have been worth a read, judging from the way Chloe’s head was buried in the book.

Beside her, Zack, who was asleep, stirred awake and moaned. Chloe’s head whipped up from her book and Kylee stood up from where she was sitting on the bed beside Zack’s and walked toward him. Her eyes scanned him nervously. He had been awake when she was brought into the infirmary but passed out later on. Since then, he had been in and out of consciousness and Quinn’s condition wasn’t all that different either.

He blinked open his eyes and looked at Chloe. “You’re still here?”

Chloe said nothing but the unsaid words hung in the air. As if I’d ever leave your side.

“Please don’t pass out again,” Kylee said, unable to help herself. Zack looked at her. “We really need to talk.”

He chuckled and nodded. “I’ll try.”

“Oh, my God, finally,” said a voice from the door. Kylee turned her head to the side and saw Stella wearing a white shirt tucked into her black skirt and leggings, her blond hair falling past either of her shoulders. Ever since the recent events, nobody really paid much attention to the uniforms anymore. Her boots made a tapping noise against the floor of the infirmary as she walked toward Zack’s bed, briefly glancing at Quinn who was still unconscious. “I was beginning to think I might need to throw water on you.” Kylee chuckled and Zack rolled his eyes.