Chapter 1. A Ball?

Start from the beginning

I nodded at the dress and took it out of Paula's hands. She smiled at me as I walked into my closet and shut the door.

I took off my arena outfit and put on the dress. I found some silver heels and threw them on.

I left the closet. "You look amazing," Paula said. "Thank you," I said.

Paula led me to the Dining Room. We talked and laughed along the way, then we made it. "You are dismissed, go and have some fun," I said to Paula. She nodded and smiled; walking off.

I walked to my seat next to my Mother's. "Hello Mother," I said with a bite in my tone. She just rolled her eyes and grabbed my Father's hand.

"Daughter why are you being so disrespectful?" my Father asked. "How am I being disrespectful? I'm not the one forcing their daughter to come to a Ball she doesn't want to go to!" I proclaimed.

"Fine, you want to know why we're going to a silly Ball?" My Mother gave in. "YES!" I exclaimed. "We have to find your soulmate," she said as if it was nothing. "Wait... What?!" I asked. "Yep, soulmates." my Father said.

"I thought soulmates were just myths? Are you two soulmates?" I asked. "We are soulmates, and when did you start thinking they were myths?" my Mother laughed.

"Since forever! Because I stopped believing in fairytales when I turned ten and lost my-my best friend to the stupid plague." I said. "Oh... Yeah, still sorry about that. But how about we eat! There's a perfectly good feast here that hasn't been touched!" My Mother said.

I scoffed, "I don't want your pity," I said, getting a plate and grabbing a sandwich. I got some watermelon and put it on my plate.

I grabbed the sandwich and took a bite. "What is in this?" I gagged. "Nothing unusual I don't think." My Father said.

My throat started feeling like it was closing up. "Are there-" I coughed "- are there nuts in-" I coughed "- in this?"

"Yes?" my Mother said. "DO YOU-" I coughed "- NOT REMEMBER I'M-" I coughed "- ALLERGIC TO NUTS?!" I screamed. My Mother looked surprised.

"Medic!" my Father called with worry in his eyes. I could no longer breathe.

I just sat there with my hands on my throat, with a terrified expression on my face.

I saw black and yellow dots flash across my vision. I saw a medic come in, they ran up to me and put something down my throat. It tasted like maple syrup and warm pancakes.

I suddenly could breathe. I gasped in as much air as I could, glaring at the chef who looked proud in the corner.

"Ugh, I hate it when that happens," I said. "People are always trying to assassinate me," I scoffed.

I grabbed the salad and made sure to check thoroughly for nuts. There luckily were no nuts. I ate the salad and watermelon quickly. Will I ever get away from this mess?

I quickly finished and pushed my plate away from me. "I'm done," I said as I got up and went away from the dining room.

"Hey, are you alright?" One of the servants, Mellie, asked. "Yes, I'm quite fine. Thank you for asking," I said. "We have to get you ready for the commoners at the Festival," Mellie said.

"Okay, just for your information I am not wearing a big poofy gown. I'll wear the crown and a dress. Not a poofy gown," I commanded. Mellie nodded, rubbing her pregnant belly.

She walked me to my chambers. I followed her and we made it to my closet.

"I'll choose what I wear," I said. Mellie nodded.