11.correspondence

Dear the Duchess of Hastings,

My apologies for using your official title but I still can not comprehend your new station. I feel as though you have missed so much since leaving for your honeymoon. Though I hope it is going well I am afraid I write to inform you of unhappy subjects. My father passed two days ago after his long, tiresome battle with his illness. Since his passing my brother has taken the title of Lord Hayward, though I can confidently say he has not adjusted well even after father's preparations. He and Anthony had a meeting yesterday afternoon where they discussed the courting between Colin and I. They came to an agreement that it wasn't suitable for it to continue as I enter my mourning period. Though I fully understand the decision I cannot help but worry about Colin. He was with me when I learned about my father. He had come into our home to speak with my father, for what I could only assume was to receive permission to propose. I can not imagine what he must have felt when he held me. I still am unsure how I feel, even now my mind feels blank as the words appear on the page. I am unable to comprehend how so quickly I not only became an orphan but lost the man I love. Daphne I never imagine life without you could be so difficult. Please write back as soon as you can.

Love,
Maggie

.❀。• *° °

Dear Maggie,

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your father. The Duke and I send our deepest condolences to you and your family though we know they can not do much for you all. Though it has only been a week since leaving I do miss you dearly and wish to tell you everything. But I find myself only able to think of one line of your last letter. I understand you said you were practically absent from yourself as you wrote but I must ask if you meant to say you love Colin? If this is the case, Maggie you can not simply let go of this feeling. I know now more than ever that love is one of the most important things in this life, especially within your marriage. Know that I stand in your corner always, and I will patiently to hear from you again.

Love,
Daphne