02.whistledown

The next morning I sat in the drawing room with all of my siblings. Josephine worked on teaching our youngest sister, Florence, needlework which earned them both many pricked fingers. Elliot busied himself with a paper while Edward was nearly asleep in the chair next to him as Evangeline played a soft tune on her piano. We all felt the day slipping through our fingers as we waited for potential suitors to arrive. The book I had been trying to read no longer held my attention, my eyes instead focused on the busy street below. I ached to be outdoors with them, doing anything but sitting in this dreary room. Suddenly Evangeline let out a small gasp and stopped her piano, instead filling her hands with the newest Lady Whistledown pages our staff had just brought her.

"Must you partake in such gossip, Evangeline?" Josephine sighed, her eyes leaving little Florence's work to earn her another prick from the needle. Evangeline gave her no response, instead engulfing herself in the column with quick eyes.

"Maggie! You're in Whistledown!"

"What?"

I snatched the paper from her hand and began to scan it for myself.

With last nights dreadfully dull open to the season I can't help but wonder what excitement we may find it at all, dear reader. For even our diamond of the season, Daphne Bridgerton, spent most of the evening tucked in a corner under the watchful eye of her older brothers. Alongside her was a Miss Magnolia Hayward, and her ever elusive brother Elliot. The pair were attached as though they were Bridgerton's themselves, though that may very well be the plan. As Magnolia's only notable dance partner of the night was no other than Colin Bridgerton, who she was seen dancing with twice.

I crumpled the paper, abandoning it into the fire place.

"I wasn't finished!" Evangeline cried as she watched paper turned to smoke.

"What did it say that could be so horrible?" Elliot inquired, barely looking away from his paper.

"Lady Whistledown believes Maggie may be a Bridgerton by seasons end," Evangeline laughed proudly, a teasing smile on her lips.

"Well there are worse fates than a Viscountess," Josephine smiled.

"No, Anthony does not wish to marry," Elliot laughed, shaking his head lightly.

"Well it isn't the Viscount who Whistledown means," Evangeline grinned, "She believes Maggie has her eye set on Colin."

"Which is not true," I said defensively.

"Well good, as the boy is far too young to be seriously considering marriage," Josephine huffed.

"Sister, was your husband not much younger when you were wed?" Edward laughed, his eyes still hung closed.

"Micheal was orphaned as well as in the process of joining the Kings army. He was well beyond his years upon our courtship."

"There is no need to discuss the matter further, as we are all in agreement that Colin and I will not be courting."

I returned to my seat at the window, my body tense from the conversation. I could feel the watchful eyes of my siblings on me still, but I paid them no mind until the room returned to it's silence.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

After dinner that evening I found myself sat in the garden, attempting to return to my book from the afternoon. My mind was still muddled with thoughts of Whistledown's words and the reactions of my siblings. Colin and I had hardly spoken until last night, the only conversation of note on the evening of my mothers passing. Yet with two dances the ton was now under the impression he was so much more.