04.restlessness

Colin had insisted that we take one of the Bridgerton carriages home, and Daphne refused to allow us to leave without them. So the four of us sat in the otherwise quiet carriage as I continued to cry.

"Maggie, please tell us what happened," Elliot pleaded. I shook my head until Daphne placed her hand on my knee, giving me an encouraging nod. I took a shaky breath before recounting the events of the garden, leaving out my argument with Colin. After I finished I looked around the carriage. Nobody looked at me, suddenly finding interest in the passing scenery.

"Do you think I shall be ruined?"

"No," Elliot huffed, "No one should've seen, and if it come down to it I shall ensure you honor remains intact."

"Elliot—"

"This isn't a discussion, Magnolia. You are not to speak to Rhodes again."

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

Elliot sent me straight to my room as soon as we arrived home. Unable to sleep I sat by the fire, attempting to think of anything but my troubles. As I sat I began to hear a slight tapping on my window, just a small tink every few seconds. After the fifth tap I slowly creeped over to the window. By the light of the full moon I could see Colin, in position to throw another stone before his eyes met mine. I pulled the window open and leaned out slightly before calling out in a hushed tone, "What?"

"May I see you?"

My lips formed a thin line as I pulled myself back into my room. With a heavy sigh I began making my way into my backyard, thinking at the very least I owed him an apology for the harshness of my words earlier that night. Colin was pacing by the back door by the time I opened it, upon seeing me freezing in his steps. He looked at me for a moment saying nothing, my eyes made their way to the ground only to stop as soon I spotted his hand. His knuckles were busted, only in the beginning of scabbing over.

"What happened?" I asked, pointing at his hand.

"Nothing," He quickly held his hands behind his back, "I'm sorry if I woke you, I couldn't sleep."

"You didn't wake me, but I don't see how your restlessness is my concern," I attempted to joke but Colin merely hung his head at my words. "I wanted to apologize for my words earlier this evening, Mr. Bridgerton. I simply was under stress and could not help myself."

Colin's eyes met mine, as if he was waiting for more. When he realized there was nothing else to be said a small smile formed as he shook his head.

"You have no reason to apologize. My intention was to apologize to you actually."

"For what?"

"I shouldn't have left you in the garden—"

"I asked you to—"

"But I knew that there was a risk leaving you there."

Colin stepped closer to me, his hand carefully reaching out to my arm where faint hues of blue were beginning to appear. He brushed his hand over the bruising, sending a shudder through my body. His eyes never left the mark as he inspected it quietly.

"Mr. Bridgerton," My voice was barely a whisper as I said his name, "Why do you seem to care so deeply?"

He finally turned to me, searching my face before letting out a small laugh.

"How can you be so smart, and yet so clueless?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"My apologies, Miss Hayward. I merely meant to say that we have known each other for some time. It is difficult for me to not to hold some affections towards you."