06.my colin

I believe I would've stayed in my bed all day if it weren't for Josephine's near constant nagging. When I finally did rouse myself it seemed nearly pointless, I was unable to dress or spend time with any of the family. Yet somehow I found myself standing in Bridgerton home, Daphne attempting to pry any words from me.

After a near half hour of both her and her mother unsuccessfully attempting to coax me they sent me off with Daphne's ladies maid to be bathed and dressed. When I found myself in Daphne's bedroom, wearing a dress she had not even had a chance to wear yet, I felt as though I was absolutely empty.

"Maggie?" Daphne called from outside the door, "Might I come in now?"

"Yes," My voice sounded foreign and strained to my ears, but when I saw Daphne open the door with a slight smile and I knew my voice was music to her ears. She stood behind me in the mirror, observing me in her dress.

"You look absolutely lovely, you must keep that dress now of course."

"Daphne, no—"

"I insist, Maggie. That dress looks as though it was simply made for you."

A small smile found my face as I looked at her through the mirror. For the first time I actually observed the dress that I wore. It was a classic light blue as Daphne always wore but with small pearl like beads used to accent the swirling print of the fabric. Due to Daphne and I having similar builds it fit me well, and brought out the green of my eyes.

"You are far to kind to me, Daph."

"I merely extend to you the kindness you have given me our entire lives," She paused, smile faltering, "But I must ask what has lead you to come today in such a state. Was it the events that occurred with Lord Rhodes?"

I shook my head as I turned to face her, realizing that the events that seemed lifetimes away from each other occurred mere hours apart. Daphne took my hand, her eyes wide with encouragement.

"Daphne I do not know how to even best put my troubles to words," I told her shakily.

"Well perhaps a walk may ease you enough to do so," She smiled, giving my hand a light squeeze.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

After a stroll through the Bridgerton's yard Daphne and I sat in the drawing room of her home with her mother. We sat silently, the only sound disturbing us that of the tea cups on their saucers and the distant sounds of the younger children at play. I could feel the soft stares of the two despite my refusal to meet their eyes.

"I am not sure if I am truly permitted to tell you of what troubles me," I sighed, looking up at them.

"Maggie dear, you know we shall keep any matter of yours discrete," Lady Bridgerton soothed.

"It is my father," I cleared my throat, attempt to steady my voice, "He has been quite unwell for some time as you know. Last night I became aware of the severity of his ailment."

The room became silent once more, and now it seemed the Bridgertons unable to make eye contact with me now. I could feel my anxiety growing causing me to regret even the slight details I shared.

"Mother, have you seen—"

Collin stopped as he took in the room. His face morphed from one of confusion to one of concern as he approached cautiously. I began to bite my lip, my eyes finding the floor.

"Is everything alright?"

"Of course, dear Maggie hear was just telling us of how her family has been. With all the fuss of the season our time with the Hayward family has been quiet scarce I'm afraid," Lady Bridgerton smiled at her son, "Whatever did you need, Colin?"