Chapter 15: Misunderstanding

Hospital

—(Y/N) POV—

The school camping trip had come to an end, and Futaro and I found ourselves in the hospital due to our illness. We were both so sick that we had to stay there. Since we were in the same shelter, I hadn't seen Nino since then. The thought of undressing her still made me shiver.

"Wuaaaaa, I couldn't dance with Nino! We won't spend the rest of our lives together anymore! Please let me enter the infinite tsukuyomi!" I cried out in despair.

Futaro responded, clearly annoyed, "You've been crying the same sentence over and over. Stop crying, damn it! Holding your hand during the bonfire should be enough to fulfill the legend."

"Indeed. I have some vague memories of that. But I also remember holding Itsuki's hand," I recalled.

"You were in a worse condition than me, so it's understandable that you wouldn't be fully aware of things," Futaro reasoned.

"Yeah, and now we're both stuck here in this hospital. And if that wasn't bad enough, this hospital is where everything began. I've always despised this place," I grumbled.

Futaro acknowledged, "Yeah, I know."

"I hope I won't encounter him here again," I expressed my concerns.

Before I could say anything else, Futaro interrupted, "By the way, I wanted to tell you that you should forgive Itsuki! I'm asking you as a friend."

I raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Forgive her? What did she do?"

"Well, she made some mistakes. I won't tell you the details because I don't want you to be angry at her. But you should know that I played a role in her actions. She found me with Ichika behind that fence and wanted to test my trustworthiness," Futaro explained.

"I see. Alright, I'll forgive her. Itsuki doesn't have ill intentions. She's just a bit clumsy. But if you're also at fault, then you should apologize to me too!" I said, a big smile forming on my face.

Futaro stubbornly refused, "I won't!"

I pouted, feeling a bit disappointed.

It was a relief to see that Futaro finally cared about all five girls and didn't want to see me and Itsuki fight. However, his insistence on me forgiving Itsuki hinted that her actions might have been significant. I couldn't help but wonder if something serious had happened, especially considering the danger Nino had been in. Perhaps it was better for me not to know the full truth.

There was a moment of silence, and I felt a bit awkward. It seemed like the right time to reveal something important to Futaro.

"Hey, Futaro! I think it's time I tell you something," I started.

Futaro: "You watch hentai?"

"Ye...There's something I have to tell you." I ignored him. "I found that girl you met in Kyoto."

He looked surprised.

Futaro: "How?"

I let out a sigh. "Do you remember when you showed me that picture? The girl in it looked exactly like Nino when I first fell in love with her. Does that ring any bells?"

He took a moment to think, then realization dawned on him. "So, that means she's one of the quintuplets?"

"Yessir! It's not Nino, though. I would have recognized her instantly. Do you... want to know who it is?" I asked with a mischievous wink.

"Yes, I want to. But... not like this! If she hasn't told me until now, there must be some ulterior motive. I want to hear it directly from her," He replied, his voice filled with determination and a hint of skepticism.