Chapter 67: Back Onboard

Start from the beginning

"Why not just owl these to them? We have a system for a reason."

"Because they need to come from you. It's really nothing you need worry about, mon ange. Just deliver them for us."

"Us? Do you mean father? What do they say?"

My mother rose a brow at me, before angling her chin up and away to the window to watch the people in downtown London go by.

"You're American citizenship allows you to learn how to apparate at 15. While you can't take the test until 16, taking part in the classes are accepted as long as you only practice during the allotted time."

"And what if I try and apparated outside the practice time?" I quipped back. My mother held my stare as she replied, "you'll lose your ability to take your licensure exam on time like your American friends."

I released a groan before turning to the window myself. "I doubt Draco Malfoy needs a letter about my ability to start apparition lessons," I said passively. I felt my mother's eyes on me so I looked back at her, adding "And what ever happened about our family keeping a distance between his family and us?" 

"Given the delicate situation that we all are in, I think it would a good idea if you stay close to that boy and his friends while you are at Hogwarts."

That did it.

I scoffed at her face in complete revolt.

"That's not happening anytime soon."

"You will deliver that letter, Ava. It's for Narcissa's sake, you understand me?"

I rolled my eyes, turning back to the window without a word. For a beat there was silence before my mother's stony voice broke it with, "Ava?"

"I'll deliver the damn letter but don't expect me to play social with those blood purists."

"Then keep that to yourself," my mother warned, making me look in time to see her eye the driver behind her. "Your father believes you are converting well to the new changes of our household that he is allowing your return to school."

"Where was he at breakfast?" I questioned, cutting her off before she could drone on with her nonsense. My mother notably bristled at the tone I took with her. I noted that we were rounding the entrance to King's Cross station and felt my heart do a flip.

I was so close to freedom.

My mother's gaze was icy as I met it but I let the hope grow in my stomach like vines.

"King's Cross, m'am," the driver announced abruptly, breaking the staring contest in the back.

"Thank you," my mother said in his direction, while I grabbed Oliver's cage and opened the door to get out.

"Ava-" my mother began, but I just turned to her and said, "No, I think we're done. Have a safe drive back, Mamen. I've got it from here."

Before she could give a retort, I stood up and slammed the door shut. My chest was being taken out by one of the bellboys and placed on a cart for me. I gave him some no-maj cash in thanks before grabbing the cart from his hands and setting off without missing a beat.

If my mother had attempted to get out of the car to stop me, I missed it as I darted off to platform 9 ¾ without another word.

Ella was the first one to spot me on the platform, as she was waiting in line to hand off her luggage when I appeared. And one look at her face told me that I was never going to hear the end about my appearance today.

"Please don't," I said, as she came up to me, words on her tongue.

"Well Ava, how could I not? You look—"