Chapter 27

The patchy haired man hunched over, a terrified look on his round face. He looked up at the two men and tried to give them a grin, but it came out as more of a grimace, "Remus, Sirius! My old friends!" He tried to rush out of the room, but was caught by the two and shoved back. The rat-like man then turned to Harry, who stood in surprise, "Harry, you look so much like your father- like James. We were the best of friends!" 

He was yanked away from the boy by Sirius, "How dare you speak to Harry? How dare you speak of James in front of him?"

"You sold James and Lily to Voldemort," Remus added, glaring down at the raggedy man.

"I didn't mean to!" Pettigrew whimpered. "You have no idea the weapons he possesses. You see, Sirius. What would you have done? What would you have done?"

"I would have died!" Sirius yelled, leaping at the man. "I would have died rather than betray my friends!"

Peter once again rushed to Harry, pleading with the boy, "Harry, James would not want me killed! Your dad would spare me. He would show me mercy."

Remus was the one to pull him away this time, "You should have realized, Peter. That if Voldemort wouldn't kill you, then we would. Together." 

They pointed their wands at the not crying man. Addi got up from her seat and rushed over to Harry. "Harry...is this what your dad would have wanted?"

He looked at her deeply for a moment, then back at the others. "No!" He shouted causing Remus and Sirius to halt. 

Remus took a step closer, "Harry, this man-"

Harry took a deep breath and latched onto Addi's hand for support, "I know what he is. But we will take him to the castle." Addi squeezed his hand to show she was proud of him.

Peter fell to the floor and crawled over to the pair, sobbing at their feet, "Bless you, boy. Bless you!"

Harry looked down at him in disgust, kicking him away," Get off! I said that we'd take you to the castle."

"After that, the dementors can have you," Addi added, giving the rat a terrifying glare. 

~~~

Addi wasn't quite sure what to think of all the events that just took place. She was in the back of the group with Hermione, letting the girl tug her along as she continued to get stuck in her thoughts. Her head waws still pounding from the earlier impact, but she tired to ignore it for the time being. Finally, they exited the whomping willow, Harry and Sirius setting Ron down so they could rest for a moment. They stepped away from everyone to have a chat. Remus was in charge of watching over Peter, who was still begging all of them to spare his life. 

"Addi, sweet Addi! You're to kind to send me to my death-"

"Do not speak to her!" Remus growled, breathing heavier as soon as they stepped out into the open air.

Addi looked up into the sky, "Oh, no! Harry!" She pointed to the full moon now blazing in the night sky and backing away from Remus. Sirius rushed over to his old friend, who began to struggle with his inner wolf. 

"Remus! My old friend! Have you taken your potion tonight?" Sirius began, but it was too late as Remus had already began to shift. "You know the man you truly are, Remus! This heart is where you truly live. This heart, here! The rest is only flesh!"

As they struggled, Peter bent down and snatched up Remus' discarded wand, but was quickly disarmed by Harry. He gave the boy a smirk and shrank down into his rat form, scurrying away. And there wasn't anything they could do. As soon as he was gone, Remus was fully transformed, batting Sirius away like a rag doll, shrinking into himself and whimpering. 

The four friends couldn't run, Ron was injured. They were stuck, and Addi was scanning her brain for spells she could use, just in case. But Hermione stepped forward despite Harry's protests. "Professor Lupin? Professor Lupin? Professor Lupin?" The wolf stopped his cries and dragged his head up to stare at them.  Letting out a deep howl, he stalked toward them. They backed up as far as they could, but then Snape appeared, back facing Lupin. Yet, once he heard the snarls behind him, he turned and held his arms out to shield the kids. Lupin swung a clawed hand at him, knocking them over. Hermione and Addi both screamed. Sirius came out in his dog form and fought with the wolf to get him away, succeeding for the most part. Except Harry, who was concerned for his godfather, followed after him. 

"No! Harry!" Addi yelled, trying to grab him, but was held back by Snape. 

He grabbed the sides of her face and made her look at him, "Get your friend to hospital wing."

"But-"

"Now, Miss Tyler." He told her, rushing off after Harry.

Addi debated with herself for a long moment before going over to Ron and hoisting him up with Hermione's help. Together they dragged him all the way to the hospital wing, waiting for Harry to arrive. Hopefully, uninjured.