Chapter 27: Room Three

Inesa POV

I had been invited to a mixer by Hina, and when I heard that my long-time crush Gabriel was going to be there I couldn't refuse.

When I say long-time crush I mean it. Although the times we have actually talked have been few and long in-between, I am pretty sure that my feelings are at least semi-requited. None of us have ever made a serious move.

So when I immediately see Hal, my mind can't help but get flooded by a wide variety of emotions and thoughts.

On one hand my heart can't help but flutter and I get an itch in my fangs from the memories associated, but on the other hand I feel conflicted, unable process the information and being unable to choose what feelings to reject.

Should I reject the deep-rooted feelings stemming from my long-time crush since middle school,  or should I push away the emotions and hormone-driven emotions that I feel for Hal?

In a moment of dread and decision anxiety, I can't help but let my thoughts show on my face, but immediately realizing, I recover my composure, before anyone had time to notice- at least I think. I hope.

The current conversations seem to fly by almost in a blur as my thoughts are going at what feels like a thousand miles-a-hour, but I finally decide to solve all my problems in the most efficient way possible- I'll take care of it later.

And in the spirit of "I'll take care of it later" I simply resolve to blissfully have a good evening without much thinking behind it.

But for this evening not to be weird, I have to make sure Hal won't act weird.

While I don't think Hal will mention anything about us that he shouldn't, I haven't gotten to know him well enough to be completely sure.

So, the moment all attention is off me, I lean over to whisper into Hal's ear, but before I have time to say anything, I accidentally glance at his neck, and see a faint glittering effect on his neck.

Makeup.. Where I..

In a vain attempt to keep my heartbeat under control I quickly say what I leaned in to.

"I don't know what you're doing here. But seriously, stay out of my business and act like we don't know each other." I lean back away quicker than I had intended, and pausing I clench back my shoulder muscles, realizing how harsh I must have come off as.

"Nice to meet you Hal!" I quickly say, offering my hand for a handshake, trying to sound cheerful to keep up appearances, but all it does is leave a bitter aftertaste on my tongue.

To mend the damage I know I did, I lean in once more, this time making sure to word myself more carefully. This time however, when I lean in, I look past the makeup on his neck, and instead make note of the steady pulsing of his neck arteries, as well as his adam's apple bob up as he swallows nervously.

"Ok. Sorry.. I didn't mean to sound that harsh, but can you?.. Please?.. I'll explain later!?" While I do admit this wasn't much better, at least this time I promised an explanation.

We end up staring into each other's eyes for several seconds, him probably trying to figure out what is going on. In the end he just nods, as if he's telling me he'll play along.

"Nice to meet you Inesa." His voice comes out slightly flat, not giving me enough information to figure out what is on his mind.

"We get room three!" Gabriel's voice nearly startles me as he returns from the register.

"Did you order snacks?" Hina asks him.

"Yea, a waitress should bring them in a few minutes." He confirms.

...

Having arrived in the karaoke booth I mentally confirm it's "ordinary-ness". The room is furnished with cushioned sofas in a U shape around a black table, and next to the tinted and blurred glass door, is a standing karaoke machine.

Upon arriving Hina immediately starts scrolling through all the available songs, expressing her contentedness with the variety.

Quite naturally, we end up with the boys sitting on one side of the table, and the girls on the opposite side.

However, deciding that that was too boring, and saying as much, Himari gets up and switches sides to sit with the guys.

We end up not playing any songs quite yet, and instead Hina sits down next to me and the group engages in small-talk until the waitress arrives with our ordered snacks. A variety of fruit and nut snacks, as well as a large bowl of potato chips, and a few minutes later she returns with soft drinks for us.

But now certain that the staff won't return in a while, I notice Niko and Himari glance at each other before smiling mischievously.

"What's that glance about?" Having been in conversation with Himari, Minori apparently also notices their suspicious behavior.

Knowing how these two operate, I can already almost guess.

"This! You can't have a mixer without drinks!" Niko pulls out a bottle of some kind of alcohol she somehow had procured.

This.. Might go downhill. From previous experience with these two, I know that I can't hold my liquor.