Chapter 16: Aftermath

Inesa POV

Once around the corner I let out the massive breath I've been holding and I lean myself against the wall.

I can't believe I did that! I blush in embarrassment at what I just did to Hal. Unlike The first time, now I remember every detail!

Licking my lips I realize that the taste of blood is still lingering. It.. Does taste very good..

But how am I supposed to face him after this! That was borderline sensual!

I notice a couple students staring at me wondering what I'm doing, and decide to get out of here. Actual lunch might be a good idea, so I walk towards the cafeteria. Hopefully a few of my friends are still eating.

Mom wants us to announce our "relationship" but I really would like to avoid that.. For one, if I were to announce a fake relationship, then there is no way I can get together with my actual crush! Although even If I were to get into an actual relationship, then they would eventually find out about all the time I'll be forced to spend with Hal, then they will think I'm cheating!

Ugh.. Such a drag..

Never mind. Now isn't the time to be thinking about this.

...

"You haven't eaten yet!? Why not? Class starts in just a few minutes!"

I laugh nervously as Sara chews me out. Okay, disclaimer, she is my best friend and I love her, but of all people! Please not now! "I.. Uhm.. I wanted to.. Study! Yea! I wanted to study a little bit before the lesson."

"Really? At least be a little bit more creative with your lies." She doesn't even believe me a little.

C'mon! It's not like I don't study at all! Just.. Not a lot.. "Have a little faith in me would you?" There is no way she would take it well if I told her the truth..

"Nope. I've known you long enough to know when you are lying, and now is one of them. Would it not just be easier if you told me you didn't want to tell me? The truth is bullet proof after all."

"Okay.. I'll go with that then.."

"Now hurry up! I may not be on duty right now, but you should still be on time for class."

"What about you!?" I ask, glancing at her plate. It is still nearly full and there is no way she can eat all that in time.

"My next class is canceled. But yours sure isn't! Get going!"

...

Hal POV

What even happened?.. I recall every moment of what just happened, but even so, had it not been for the lingering pain on the side of my neck, I barely would have believed it myself.

It.. It felt good.. Wait!? Does that make me a masochist!?

I stand up quickly at the thought. "Noooo way! I would never be a pervert like that! It's not like I liked the bite!" I say out loud to myself. If anything, I liked the tongue.. Oh crap, that sounds even worse..

After the sudden movement I suddenly feel a wave of dizziness wash over me. While Inesa couldn't have taken enough blood to have a significant impact on me, the combination with quickly standing up is enough to make me feel it. But the feeling leaves just as soon as it came.

Realizing I had spoken aloud though I twist my head all around, but seeing no-one there somehow makes me even more uneasy, since I realize I had been too distracted during.. during before, to have even maybe noticed an onlooker. Someone could have seen everything and I would have no clue! On top of acting completely hormonal, I was careless.

The bell rings, drawing my attention from my thoughts, I missed lunch!

As quick as I can without running, I make my way towards my locker before planning to head to my lesson.

My stomach growls. I will be late, but hopefully not enough to get chewed out over.

With quick steps I pass by several underclassmen, who oddly enough give me both a combination of weirded-out stares, and from some of the guys, looks of- admiration?.. Heh?

What is happening? Of course they would give me some stares over my rush, but this much? And why are they all looking at me like I did something?

The left-over pain in my neck starts hurting a bit more as my heart starts pounding out of hurry.

My neck.. Oh.. OHH!!!

Immediately I cover up my neck with my hand before anyone else has a chance to see. Of course I would have a mark! And extremely visible of course! Noone can get their skin sucked for that hard and for that long without leaving a trace!

Walking even quicker, and with my face probably red like a strawberry, I switch my destination to the bathrooms. I have to see the damage done for myself in the mirror.

...

Aand.. As to be expected.. My neck has a big red hickey where Inesa had gone to town. And when I say big, I mean it is really severe. The color is bright red, but in the center it is borderline black from the blood-blisters, although miraculously her teeth don't seem to have left barely a mark at all.

I remember a random fact about obsidian. Obsidian is the sharpest material known to man, and its shards are so sharp that they are only one atom thick at the edge. Because of this property, obsidian is often used to make knives for plastic surgeons, since the cut is so clean that it doesn't even leave scars.

For a moment I observe Inesa's work in awe. Are her fangs really that sharp? That is pretty incredible.

But immediately after, I remember a terrible fact.. There is no way I can go to class looking like this..

Looking in the mirror I try to pull up my shirt collar to conceal the mark, but of course in vain.

I grab the sink with both hands and let my shoulder slump in defeat. There is no way I can go to class looking like this, at the very least, I will get sent to the principal, and no-one will ever forget! I will be bullied to the very last day of my time here..

My perfect track record.. In just two days.. Completely ruined..

I picture myself as a delinquent with a motorcycle and a baseball bat. That reality has always been so far away.. But at this rate that might not even be so unlikely.. Farewell academic life.. Time to go home and lock myself in my room..

A little dramatic I know, but still, home really is the only place I can go now.

I leave the bathroom with my hand still covering my neck. It will be slightly challenging to put on my jacket without moving my hand, but thankfully everyone I know will be in class. So there isn't any risk of anyone seeing.

...

I get to my locker without a hitch. Instead of just holding over my mark with just one hand, I realize that if I hold my neck with both hands and let my elbows stick out, I can make it look intentional. A little dorky, but people will give it less thought this way.

I quickly do the code for the lock and open it up, and in an attempt to finally cover myself up properly, I immediately grab for the coat. But before I have a chance to pull both arms through the sleeves, a casual voice right behind me makes me jump so high that I nearly slip and fall at landing.

"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in class? And what's up with that spot on your neck?"