Chapter 12: Train-ride Reunion

After laying in bed for what felt like several hours, somehow I was able to fall asleep, despite my dreams being filled with nightmares. 

I awake to the smell of miso, and as I rub my eyes it is clear that I didn't get enough sleep. 

Getting up, I immediately go to my closet and grab one of the two pairs of school uniforms that I own, and put it on. 

It is a rather simple, but fashionable uniform, consisting of dark-grey-almost-black trousers, matching leather shoes, a white dress shirt with the school's emblem on it, and a black-and-white striped tie. A black leather belt and watch are optional, and is really the only way to see a student's wealth. While I do have a cheap watch to tell time, I lack a belt. A lot of students like to show off by flaunting their expensive brand-belts and designer watches. Although sadly enough, some go into debt to do it. 

After quickly combing my hair, I leave my room and head to the kitchen. 

"About time you woke up. We only have a few minutes left to catch the train. And since you completely missed yesterday, you'd better not be late today. Also I'd kill you if you skip today, but seeing as you're already dressed, I probably don't have to worry about it." My sister remarks when she sees me. 

"Thanks for the vote of confidence. But I told you, not going to school yesterday was a complete accident."There is no way she'll believe me, even if I gave her the real truth. 

"I really fail to see how that's possible." 

Of course. 

She switches topic. "We really need to go now though, so either you grab a piece of bread to go, or stuff some soup into a thermos. Because by now, you really have to eat on the train."

"Yea yea, got it. I'll do that." 

"I'll wait for you outside, but if you take too long I'll just go without you." 

...

After filling a bottle with miso soup, I go out to meet her and we begin the walk towards the train. 

"Why are you going with me anyway?" Only on rare occasions does she go to school with me. Normally she is in school an hour before class starts, due to her involvement in various school activities. 

"To make sure you actually come dummy." 

I guess that isn't entirely unexpected. A disciplinary committee member, through and though. 

... 

The train arrives and everything is peaceful, until I nearly choke. 

Normally I don't pay attention to who gets on or off the train, unless I know the person, so the thought never even crossed my mind that this would happen. But of course it would! That's why Valorie gave us the backstory that she did!

I try to shrink in my chair to avoid detection. 

The train had just stopped, and of all people, a certain pink-haired girl walks right in, and without a care in the world. 

"Hey Inesa! Come sit over here!" Sara stand up and does a quick wave, before sitting down again when er presence is acknowledged. 

I immediately spin my head toward my sister, who is completely ignorant of the situation. They know each other!?

"Hi Sara, how are you doing? It's been a while since I saw you on this train, I-..." Inesa instantly cuts off her sentence when she notices me. 

"Heey Inesa.." I subconsciously slump my shoulders a bit. 

"What.. Are you.. Why are you two here together.." Inesa shifts her eyes between me and Sara repeatedly while waiting for an answer. 

My sister speaks up, breaking the awkward silence. "Oh? You two know each other? He's my brother, I guess you never saw us together. We usually both just do our own things. But how do you two know each other?" She tilts her head, trying to figure out the awkwardness going on.

"Well, uhm.." Inesa starts, but trails off. The situation seems to leave her stunned. 

"We.. Occasionally talk.. On the train.." I try to fill in what Inesa didn't, but also end up trailing off. "How do you two know each other?.." I gesture at both of them, trying to shift away the conversation from myself. Taking the spotlight for just those few seconds was a mistake. 

"Oh.. Ok.." Sara looks first at me and then to Inesa suspiciously. It is literally only a matter of time until she connects the dots. "We're best friends, although we don't technically have much in common. We go in the same class though." My sister glances up at Inesa's hair and sighs. "But really. Are you going to still insist on wearing that dress code violation?"

I look where she was, noticing the pink ribbon, which technically blends into her hair so nicely, that you don't really think about it until specifically pointed out. 

Inesa quickly shakes her head to get back into her regular character, and ignores me. "Come on, we aren't even on school property yet, so there really isn't anything you can do about it, but even once we're there, are you really going to go through all the trouble only to get late for class? That would look very good on your record would it?" 

Sara sighs. "Yes yes, I know. But one of these days you will listen to me."

"We'll see about that." 

Inesa ends up taking the seat in front of Sara, and continuing to ignore me, they small talk about various topic for the rest of the train trip. Although primarily Inesa inquires about the volleyball team, which apparently she also is a part of, but is very inactive in. 

Just as we stand up and prepare for our stop however, I notice a chill going down my spine, and looking over, for the briefest moment, I see a look in Inesa's eyes that gives me déjà vu.