Chapter 8: Sagip River

"And if you ever need help understanding any of the points or information in the document, you're free to contact me until five PM," Lucinda said as she stood up from the wooden chair. "You don't have to worry about calling me on a day-off as well. The trial is in seven days, and all of those are my work days. As long as you call before five, I'll answer."

The old woman in front of her smiled and nodded. "Thank you once again for helping us, iha."

Nex to her, her lawyer's hands reached for Lucinda's own, her own smile widening. "Thank you as well, Miss Saffirus. We're quite certain you don't have to worry about anything else; this is all the evidence we need. But thank you once again."

She shook the lawyer's hands. "Of course. We'll be on our way now. Chuchu, let's go."

Greyson gave a small bow at the old woman and lawyer before following her behind. As soon as she stepped outside of the carinderia, the smell of food immediately faded away. Instead, the smell of smoke made her nose scrunch up. Next to her, Greyson sneezed, and he wiped his nose with his jacket's sleeve.

Her ears perked up, and she flicked her eyes at the corners without moving her head. The sound of the street was louder now that her ears were up. There were only two other people outside, but both were too focused on what they were doing to pay her any attention.

"So." She grabbed Greyson's hand as they started walking. "Did you learn anything from that?"

"Grown up stuff is scary." His ears flopped down, and he averted his gaze. "And boring."

She chuckled, ruffling his hair. "Right now, it might feel boring for you. But when you're older, you'll have to deliver files to your clients as well. And you'll need to explain it to them, answer their questions, and if it's needed, you might have to attend trials as well. And if you're in the courtroom, you—" A sigh left her lips, but she still showed him a smile. "You're not understanding anything, are you?"

He shook his head. "I'm hungry."

She grabbed her phone and flipped it open. Eleven thirty. "Well, it's time for lunch, anyway. How do you say we go to the bay and eat our lunch there?"

That seemed to lift his spirits. His ears perked up, and he showed her a smile. "Can we go to the mall afterwards?"

"No." When she booped his nose, his expressions and ears fell, though it only made her chuckle. "We still have work to do. We'll only be there to eat, okay?"

"Okay."

She opened her phone once again and booked a taxi. Not long afterwards, their ride arrived. Greyson, unsurprisingly, fell asleep during the entire ride. She placed his head on his lap and held his back, while her other hand remained on the car's door. And when they reached the mall, she shook him awake.

There were a lot of people walking since it was lunch time. Some went to the bay, but most went to the mall. It didn't take long for her to find a seat for them. The tree nearby provided a shade, making the seat not too hot. Once she sat down, she took a deep breath, letting the smell of the ocean relax her chest and loosen her shoulders. Going here was a good idea; the weight in her chest finally disappeared, and she slumped her back on the chair.

She sighed once again as she brought both of their lunch boxes out. It was her day off yesterday, and Poseidon didn't give her a mission. So not only was she able to rest her wielding, she was able to spend more time with Greyson. And earlier, she was able to wake up without feeling drained and managed to prepare a special breakfast for them.

Greyson's ears flipped up and down as he grabbed a spoonful of his rice and curry. "Can we get some drinks?"

"I packed water for you," she replied. "You can drink that."