Chapter 3: The business proposal

"She's a real beauty." I told myself while looking at her.

Who on earth in her right mind will not recognize her as pretty? As for those who look at the outer appearance, hindi s'ya pahuhuli.

Sexy but dangerous. Mapupungay ang mga mata n'ya. She has long lashes and soft brows. That contoured nose and that oh so kissable lips painted with a smile. But it's not her outer character i'm attracted to. It's beyond that, actually. It's the way she handles herself in front of that girl, her politeness even when angry, and that undeniably mysterious character that i'm curious about. And as I look deeper into her eyes, I can see longing, hurt and something that I can't seem to name... something I want to discover by myself.

"Pardon me, Narda?" Her lips twitched into a grin. Hmmm... She's good at hiding her real personality with that seductive aura.

"You're asking me about the payment, right? I want you to be my girlfriend as payment." I smiled sweetly at her.

"Hmmm. For how long? A week?"

Nangunot ang noo ko sa sagot n'ya. Akala n'ya siguro i'm here for some sort of a one night or one week stand thing, if such words exist.

"What do you mean by a week? Do I need to court you for a week before you answer my question?"

She chuckled. "Silly. What I mean is, I can be your girlfriend from tonight until the same day next week." She encircled her arms around my neck. She's teasing me with her glare.

"Hmmm. I'm not into it, Regina. I'm into serious kind of relationships."

Her smile turned into a frown before she gave me that angry gaze.

Kumalas s'ya sa pagkakayakap sa akin and drink on her glass.

"Now, i'm really curious to get to know her better." Naisa-isip ko.

She reached out something from her purse and gave it to me.

"Here's my card, Miss Custodio. Call me whenever you have any other payment in mind other than that. I'm not into your kind of game, either. I'm not into that falling game you want me to get into." She stood up. "I have my own rules in love, Narda. Thanks for the help and the drink." She drank the last of her booze and exited the bar.

I can't contain my grin. "You're really something, Regina. Kung sa palagay mo ay ganyan lang ako kadaling mapasuko? Think again, love. I'm just starting."

I dialled a number on my phone.

"Hello, I want you to investigate on a certain Regina Vanguardia."

"Copy that, ma'am."

______________

A curious face of a middle-aged lawyer entered my office.

"Have a seat, Atty. Vanguardia." He shook my hand before taking a seat in front of my table.

"What's this about, Miss Custodio? It's been a while since we last saw each other kaya nagulat ako when your secretary called me for an appointment. Ipinasundo mo pa talaga ako. That's so generous of you."

"I have something to discuss with you, Atty. It's about your daughter."

Nangunot ang noo nito and by the look of it he is already disgusted. But after a while I can clearly see his longing towards her daughter.

"It has been 2 years since I last saw her, Miss Custodio. She answers my calls but I never heard her voice even for once." Lumungkot ang mukha nito.

Of course I know why. I already knew everything about Regina especially what she's been through for the past years.

"May nagawa bang kasalanan sa'yo ang anak ko, Miss Custodio? Is she in debt or something? Let me take care of everything for her."

A typical dad. Authoritative yet soft hearted when it comes to their daughters. He is the type of father that would do anything for his daughter.

"No. No. Atty. Vanguardia. Didiritsahin na kita. I want your daughter. I want to marry her."

Namatanda yata ang abogado at saglit hindi nakaimik.

Tumikhim ito ng makabawi bago magsalita. "Are you sure about this, Miss Custodio? I mean you're a successful businesswoman, a CEO of a multi-development company in the Philippines, a sought after bachelorette. Ang daming nakapaligid na kababaihan sa inyo. Pupwede ko bang matanong kung bakit ang anak ko pa talaga ang nagustuhan mo? Wala naman akong question sa ganda ng anak ko pero bakit s'ya of all people?"

"Nothing is explainable when it comes to love, Atty. Vanguardia. I know you'll agree. She caught my heart.  Hmmm... She grab it, put it inside her pocket and walk away." I grinned.

"What can I say?" He shrugged his shoulders but his face is painted with happiness. Maybe he wanted Regina to be happy just as I want to make her happy.

"How can I be of help to you with it, Miss Custodio?" He asked.

"Since I had been vocal about my feelings for your daughter, sir. It's better if you call me Narda. I'm hoping to call you father-in-law in the near future." We both laughed.

"I'm giving you your desired share in my company if you will help me with this, sir. Hindi ba matagal ka ng pabalik-balik dito para sa inaalok mong partnership sa akin with your law firm?"

Umiling-iling ito kaya bigla akong kinabahan. Parang gusto ko tuloy batukan ang sarili ko. Mali yata ang approach ko.

Is this still you, Narda? Bakit natatakot ka ngayon na tanggihan ng tatay n'ya?

"Is it a no, sir? Sorry if you look at it in a different perspective. I understand that your daughter is not a business nor a thing to make a deal for."

Ngumiti ito, tumayo and tapped my shoulder. "You're really in love with her. Iniisip ko nga kanina. Rej is not a type of a girl na babagay sa isang kagaya mo. Regina had never been serious when it comes to relationship after her first. Siguro you're already aware of her story."

Tumango ako. After all the investigation na pinagawa ko about her, I get a hint of her life.

"Kaya natakot ako. Not just for you, kasi alam kong pahihirapan ka n'ya, but for her as well. Iniisip ko kasi kanina if you're really serious. Ayoko kasing masaktan pa ulit ang anak ko, Narda. It hurts a father to see her daughter hurting at wala man lang akong magawa to ease her pain. Disregard the business proposal. My firm is earning and I don't want to use my daughter as leverage for its success. I just want my daughter's happiness, Narda. Tutulungan kita in any way that you want if you promise me one thing?"

"Sure, sir. Anything for Regina."

"Don't ever hurt her."