Ch 22: If I May

Neteyam liking Ayatney was no longer a secret.

Everyone in their pod knew by now with how he simply treated her and how she would respond. They had gotten a lot closer as well, never really leaving each other's side.

If one was sent off on an errand, the other would trail after them like some lost puppy. If one was going out for a swim, the other would follow happily.

It was sickening.

Lo'ak and Kiri was over it. Seeing their older brother act so lovey dovey made them feel grossed out. Who knew a warrior can be so head over heels?

Neytiri was currently teaching Tuk how to prepare their food, using the leaves to wrap up the fish Jake had caught and filet that morning. Ayatney sat at Tuk's side to assist the girl while Neteyam laid next to her, lazing around as he waited.

Their lessons were canceled for the day because Tsireya had to catch up with her Tsahík training and Ao'nung was going out fishing with the hunting group. None of them minded, it was nice just to have a day to do nothing.

"Tuk, make it a bit tighter so nothing will fall out." Ayatney said, taking the wrap from the little girl as she showed her the correct way. Tucking away a braid that hung near her face, Ayatney tightened the stems showing it to Tuk so she would know what it was supposed to look like.

"Oh okay."

As she continued watching over Tuk, her hair had kept escaping from their hold and she was getting annoyed. Scowling to herself, she tucked it back behind her ear only to groan again as it fell forward.

Neteyam had sensed her distress, sitting up to grab a short leather cord. "Here, let me help." He grabbed the top section of her braids, along with the piece that made her annoyed in the first place, and tied it back. "There, better?"

Ayatney nodded, thankful for his help. "Yes, thank you Neteyam."

Lo'ak, who sat in the back of the hut with Kiri, watched the interaction with a jeering face. He stood from his spot, trying to make himself seem a bit bigger. Clearing his throat, he sauntered over to where Ayatney and Neteyam sat.

"Is this better?" He mocked Neteyam, bringing his voice down an octave. Kiri rolled her eyes at her younger brothers tone. As if he had switched personalities, he made himself appear more feminine by batting his eyelashes and squishing his shoulders closer to his chest.

"Oh yes Neteyam! Thank you!" Lo'ak pranced around with a high pitched voice.

Tuk, who was already frustrated that she couldn't tie the stems correctly, huffed at her older brothers annoying shenanigans. "Mom! Lo'ak is doing it again!" She pointed her finger at the boy who took his turn in rolling his eyes.

Neytiri shot her mate a look, she didn't want to deal with the misbehaving children and being honest, Jake didn't want to either. So like any other father, he sent them out of the pod to do whatever as he and Neytiri would finish the cooking for lunch.

Lo'ak had already ran off before Neteyam could get to him, a scowl on his face as he watched Tuk drag Ayatney and Kiri to the waters. Just as he joined them, Ayatney sat waiting on an ilu just as his sisters disappeared into the reef.

He called another ilu, quickly mounting it as he allowed Ayatney to lead the way. "I know a good spot, come."

It was near the sea wall terrace and there was a secluded pool where no one seemed to occupy unlike the others. Ayatney disconnected her kuru from the ilu, swimming the rest of the way to pull herself to sit on the edge of the warm pool of water.