Ch 24: Rain

The soft pitter patter of drops hitting the woven material of the marui pod had awoke Ayatney from her peaceful slumber. It echoed all around her as she looked around, finding everyone gone.

They must've gotten up early to attend to their chores before heading out. Quickly changing into a different top, the girl made her way through the passing Metkayina villagers in the rain in search of familiar faces. Passing by a healers hut, Ayatney was able to make out the voices inside it.

Taking a peek, Ayatney watched as Lo'ak and Tsireya softly whispered to each other, a small giggle coming out of the girl as she ground a paste in the mortar and pestle.

Ayatney did not want to interrupt the pair, but she was a bit desperate for Neteyam's whereabouts. Clearing her throat, she stepped into the pod, catching the two off their guard.

"Ayatney," Tsireya breathed out, motioning her hand forward in their similar greeting ways. The forest girl returned the action, wringing her hands together. "Lo'ak." Ayatney acknowledged the boy, turning back to look at the Metkayina.

"Do either of you know where Neteyam is?" She fiddled with the beads that hung from her fathers neckpiece that still clung to her neck.

Lo'ak shook his head, unsure of his brothers whereabouts. But thankfully Tsireya knew.

"The last I saw of him was by the ilu pen," she revealed, "Apparently he was going out to learn about hunting in the reefs with a few of the older men."

They watched as the older girl visibly deflated, upset at the chance of seeing him this rainy morning.

"But, they should be back by now if you want to go check there."

Ayatney nodded her head in thanks and left the two alone once more. Hopefully they weren't too loud to attract the eyes of those who walked by. Surely, the news would reach the ears of her mother.

The beads on her top hit each other as Ayatney slightly bounced on the elastic walkway, cold rain hit her warm skin as she made her way to the ilu pen. Just as Tsireya had said, Neteyam was there reorganizing the saddles as the older Metkayina men pulled in huge nets full of fish.

"Neteyam!" Ayatney called, jogging over with a pep in her step as she finally put her feet down of the firm weaved platform. He whipped his head around at the sound of her voice, a smile quickly forming on his features.

He reached a hand out for her as she finally reached him, slowing her down as the others stared in their general direction.

"Ayatney," He breathed out, her name was faint on his lips but was loud enough for her to acknowledge him calling her back.

"Tsireya said I would find you here."

"And you have."

Ayatney looked behind Neteyam, watching as the still live fish flopped in the nets on the mat under their feet.

"Are you still busy?"

Neteyam took his turn turning back to the hunters, watching as they hauled the last net up. He turned back to Ayatney, who had hopeful eyes, but she knew even if he didn't answer. As much as he wanted to spend the day after their date together, it seems like the fish had to come first this time around.

"It's fine if you are—" Ayatney looked towards the group behind Neteyam, letting go of his hand as she walked over to the net of fish. "Better yet, I can help clean the catch."

The girl had already done it many times before. Living off of the reef had taught her many things, one being how to properly clean fish and filet it. Back in the forest, they ate more land meat than they did meat from the water. But all was the same, no?