Ch 15: Today

Cooking was a skill that Ayatney had acquired when learning how to take care of the children back at camp. She had realized that it was more than just throwing meat and ingredients together, expecting it to taste good in the end.

Learning from the older women in her clan was easier than ever, though doing it all by herself was a bit hard. But over time, Ayatney knew how much of this you were to put in there or maybe adding a bit more of that did the trick to make it taste better.

Then again, everyone had their own taste and customs to their food. So she wouldn't be making the same thing every night.

"Wrap it tightly like this."

Today, Ayatney had taken it upon herself to help Tsireya cook their afternoon meal where everyone would gather to eat communally.

"Like that?" Ayatney finished tying the stems of the leaves on one flat side securing its hold as she lifted it for the Metkayina to look at.

"Yes, good."

Silence ensued, the crackling of the fire and the wrinkling of the leaves were the only sounds that occupied the space.

Obviously living on the reef, various types of fish and seaweeds were their main staple food. Maybe even some vegetation or grains from the forest that they lived so close to, but anything rarely came from there besides the leaves used to wrap the food.

Tsireya claimed that since they weren't good at hunting in the woodlands as they were in the water, they barely ever went.

Only on special occasions would they send a group of young hunters in.

While Ayatney occupied herself in making wraps, Tsireya took her time to observe the girls foreign features.

From the way she looked to how the forest girl held herself was not the same as the rest of the Sully's. Tsireya had a sense that Ayatney wasn't related to Toruk Makto or his children, but never decided to voice it.

She didn't want to offend her new friend with her curiosity, but her long gaze had gave it away.

"If you have something to say, just speak it." Ayatney grabbed a new leaf, setting the tightly bound bundle into a basket with others that needed to be steamed and put aside.

"I will not bite." Ayatney joked, putting a thick paste onto the leaves before grabbing a piece of fish.

The opportunity had been given to her, and with the reassurance that Ayatney wouldn't be insulted only egged Tsireya on. But still, she had spoke with caution.

"Are you not the eldest child of Toruk Makto and his mate?"

Tsireya watched as she paused, leaves stuck in a folding position as Ayatney took time to process the question.

Maybe she shouldn't have let her curiosity get the best of her.

"I-I was just thinking since you seem so much more different than they do," Tsireya stuttered, "...that you must not be born of the same blood."

Giving a quick side glance towards Tsireya, who was now stiff awaiting for her answer, Ayatney continued to wrap the fish. She knew the question was going to be asked sooner or later. Someone was bound to notice the distance between the family and the girl.

Tsireya had made her move to apologize, seeing how Ayatney was affected by the bold question. But she had shut her mouth as soon as she had opened it.

"You are right." Ayatney replied, bounding the ends of the green blades she set it aside to properly face Tsireya. "I am not a child of Toruk Makto."