Ch 8: Fight or Flight

It had been past eclipse when they had finally landed. Jake got off of his ikran first, Neytiri and Neteyam following after.

Neteyam made a motion to grab his bow, but Jake was quick to stop him. "No, you stay with the ikran."

"But dad, I am a warrior like you." He talked back, "I am meant to fight."

"Neteyam." His mother warned softly. Neytiri didn't want to risk her eldest being injured when the rest of her children, which she was assuming, were captured. "You do not speak to your father that way."

"Ayat is there too." The two weren't as close as they were before, of course the war had been the cause of their distance. But he still couldn't help the nagging feeling that was stuck in his chest.

Watch out for Ayat.

It was engraved in his mind, constantly on repeat. He cared for the girl more than he realized, and that would be his greatest weakness.

Jake and Neytiri both gave each other a look. Their answer was already decided, and it wouldn't change.

"We will bring her back as well," His mother spoke first, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Do not worry Neteyam."

He gave in, nodding his head as his braids swing side to side wildly. Finally backing off to focus on his ikran instead. But when his parents had turned to leave, he turned to watch them leave, an angry look taking over his features.

He would prove himself worthy.

Neytiri stealthily moved through the trees, the rain blocking out any additional noise she had made. She set her back firmly against the moss covered bark of the tree, peering in between the branches to get a good look.

They were all held by their braid's, Spider and Kiri were stuck together, Tuk and Lo'ak, and then Ayatney. They weren't scattered that far apart, seeing as they had to stay together. Imitating a call, Neytiri watched as they moved around, one standing in the line of fire. Perfect.

Nocking her bow, she pulled it back. Watching as Kiri began to pray, the captive pulling her head back telling her to quiet. Finally an opening had been made when he pulled her head far enough.

Neytiri finally let go of her bow string, letting the poisoned tipped arrow plunge into its target.

"Lo'ak! Ayatney!"

Calling their names, the two got into action.

Lo'ak pulled the lock from the gas bomb as Tuk bit into their captives arm. The hold on their queue's had been released, both running into the forest.

Ayatney threw her head back, successfully hitting the avatar in the nose. She listened as they cried out before trying to make a run for it. Spider and Kiri weren't that far ahead, just a couple of feet in front of her. She helped Kiri get back up, pushing her ahead and hoping that she would get the message to hurry it up.

"Go! Go!"

"Don't let them get away!" Quaritch ordered.

"Get back here!" A hand shot out, pulling Ayatney back by her queue. A surprised yelp escaping through her lips. It was only for a brief second as she was let go, an arrow to the chest killing her captor.

She was successful in getting away, gaining small cuts from running between trees and fern as the sounds of guns and flying arrows reached her ears despite the distance. Ayatney wasn't sure where to go next, she didn't even know where the rest of them were.

All Ayatney knew was that she had to run away from the shack. Far away from it.

She turned to look behind as she ran, checking to see if anyone was following after her. Ayatney could hear the footsteps, they were getting nearer. Focusing her vision to the front of her, she realized she didn't have anything to use as a weapon.