Ch 11: Sanctuary

It had been a heart breaking ceremony.

The people wept as they watched their Olo'eyktan and his family desert their clan to leave for a distant land far away.

Ayatney had cried the night before, holding all those that she held dear to her. Yostim shed the most tears, grieving over the fact that his mother figure was to leave and that her return was unknown.

It was painful, to walk down the path of the unknown.

Ayatney was unable to meet the eyes of the children as she stepped by, fearing that she would choose to stay. She knew that Yostim was reaching out to her, wishing to hold her hand once more as they did for many nights as they slept.

Her absence was going to protect him.

Even if it wasn't wanted, it was needed.

On her shoulders sat a cape, made from all of the children's hard work and effort. They told her that it would block her from any storms and cold winds coming her way, it was also a memoir.

Of where she had come from, of the people. Of them. The many grateful children she got to know and care for.

Their ikran sat waiting, luggage on their backs as they were already facing towards the open sea beyond the edge of the cliff.

Climbing onto their bonded banshees and setting off for flight, Ayatney could help but look back at what was once her home. Her ikran, Ranä, let out a cry as they flew further and further away until the people had become nothing but small dots on land.

The journey had not been easy. Just as the children had said, there was rain and cold winds brushing against any of her exposed skin. It sent chills down her spine as her hands shook.

Ayatney had no idea where they were headed, but these seas seemed furious. Raged with emotion as they crashed against each other. Sending the salty waters to stand at the height to which they were flying.

"Mawey." Rubbing the neck of her ikran, Ayatney tried her best to soothe her flying companion. The loud sounds of thunder had frighten the poor beast, unaccustomed to such noise.

Her attempts only seemed to work for a little while, but as the waves got taller the more Ranä got frightened. The ikrans flapping faltered for a moment, allowing a wave to engulf them whole before emerging with a shocked gasp.

Neteyam looked back, checking up on Ayatney as she recovered from the water. He had saw what had happened and was relieved to see her just fine. But still, if anything did happen, he wouldn't have hesitated to dive in after her.

He watched as she hunched over, hugging her ikran as she spoke words of comfort. Only turning back ahead of him when he had realized she had caught him staring.

Ayatney was so tired, but she knew she had to persist. Fatigue can't stop their long journey now.

It had been hours, passing through a storm to finally clear open waters.

Looking below into the glass like liquid, Ayatney was able to make out the many types of fish and creatures she would have never thought she'd see in her lifetime. A new place to search and adventure, to learn about. A new home.

They passed over a wall, lightly colored Na'vi stood as they watched the ikran fly over their heads. Hearing them call and jumping into the water to catch up to them made Ayatney a bit nervous.

The village had finally came into view, their homes were build different. All connecting with each other with handmade paths and the roots that held them in their place.

It was truly beautiful, to be able to see another clan and how they adapt to their nature surrounding them. But Ayatney couldn't help but be a bit anxious, she wasn't the best in water.