Ch 17: Lo'ak

As soon as their conversation had ended, they had shared soft and giddy smiles.

They were no where close to developing a proper relationship or term between them, but they at least knew where they stood in their forming bond.

Him liking her and her (somewhat) liking him.

To Ayatney, it felt a bit wrong to know that her superiors son liked her, but at the same time it felt a bit right. To have someone see her in a different light felt good, heart warming even.

Rather than being seen as an individual to order around and send out easily with no regard, she was viewed in his eyes as someone worth protecting and saving. Hell, maybe even worth loving (But the hopes were too high for that one).

When Ayatney will think of his words in times to come, she knows her heart will be fluttering in her chest. Cheeks warming from his words of confessions.

By now, it was near eclipse as they had finally helped clean one another off and patch each other up. Words of fondness only whispered between them and contagious laughter that drew in the attention of others.

But it was the random appearance of Ao'nung that disturbed them, his words of bringing Lo'ak beyond the reef settled a aching chill to rest in their bones.

Neteyam had grabbed the boy by his queue before dragging him back to the marui pod they resided in, where he was sure his father would be. Ayatney followed close behind, wringing her hands together worriedly.

How could she have not noticed of his disappearance? She was always aware of where each of the Sully children were, even if it meant drilling it into her mind if she were to ever leave them alone.

Passing by the surprised yet confused Neytiri and Tuk in the pod, Ayatney could only spare a glance at them as she continued walking after Neteyam and Ao'nung.

"Tell him what you told me!"

It seems like a bonding moment was ruined between Jake and Kiri when they had arrived. His father stood up on the canoe, looking between the three of them as Ao'nung smacked Neteyam's hand off of him.

The Metkayina boy had told Jake, the father instantly becoming serious as he rushed off, requesting the chief for a search party. The pair were told to stay with a very worried mother on the beach, waiting and watching as she paced back and forth.

It was another hour before the horns had sounded.

They all ran towards the woven dock, Neytiri desperately pushing through the Metkayina to her youngest son.

"Lo'ak!" She pushed herself down the dock, grabbing her son by the shoulders quickly checking him over, worry becoming anger.

"I pray for the strength that I will not pluck the eyes out of my youngest son!"

Neytiri let out a snarl as she made a plucking motion towards his face, causing the boy to roll his eyes while leaning his head back from his mothers quick hand. Ayatney let out a sigh of relief, glad to see him in one piece.

Tsireya had once told her of what awaited outside of the reef for the inexperienced. An akula would have surely killed him in one big bite.

"No." Tonowari spoke, "My son knows better than to take him outside the reef." He forced Ao'nung to kneel, shame quickly donning his face. "The blame is his."

Jake didn't want anymore trouble, exhausted beyond belief, so he quickly accepted his apology.

But Lo'ak felt indifferent, if Ao'nung hadn't taken him out there then he would've missed something so great. Even if it meant almost dying to a under water beast.