CHAPTER 32

"What do you mean we're stuck?" Arabella paced. "You see, this is why I wanted you to stay outside... What part of staying outside the wards did you not understand?"

An argument had risen.

"You're blaming me?" Caldor asked in disbelief. "Your first idea was to run in here on your own. How different is this situation from your original plan?"

"So now it's my fault?" Bella looked at him.

"Why don't we all just calm down?" Sesy said. "We're all just panicking for no reason..."

"I'm not, he's the one panicking." Bella blamed.

"Dear heavens!" Caldor rubbed his temples.

"I didn't need his help in doing anything." Bella snarled.

"You didn't need to need my help. I'm your master and I must ensure that..."

"You're not my master!" Bella snarled. "You are a pain in the ass! Always have been. You never once wanted to teach me. You gave me an ultimatum that you knew I wasn't going to pass... you are the one who denounced yourself as my master, Caldor."

Caldor just looked at her.

"So stop pretending that you care." Bella told him. "You don't!"

"I do." Caldor's voice was not a rant.

"No! You don't." Bella turned away. "So leave me alone. I'll figure things out on my own." She hugged herself.

Caldor looked at her, eyes softening but she had given him her back. "I know you're hurting after what happened with the girl..."

"No! You don't. You don't know anything." she said, voice breaking.

"Trust me, I do."

"You didn't have to lose everyone in your life and you don't know what it feels like to lose more." she spoke. "So please, keep away from my business."

Caldor was out of words. He turned to Sesy and squatted to her height.

"You said we shouldn't panic, is there another way out?" he asked her.

Sesy cleared her throat after that very intense argument. "At midnight."

"Midnight?"

"It's not a full moon but we sirens still have a few tricks up our fins." Sesy told him. "Midnight is the most dangerous because both the sirens and the Valprei are powerful but the full moon makes us overpower them... which is not present tonight. If you can fight your way out, we might be able to keep the ward open for you."

"Fight our way out? Fine with me." Caldor told her then turned to Bella who still gave them her back. He turned to look at Sesy.

"I'll talk to her." she told him. "You go ahead and rest. Near the waters is the safest place to be."

Caldor moved and sat leaning on a tree.

"Hey, Bella." Sesy moved to her side, leaning on the rocks at the water. "Bella!" she sang.

Bella turned to her with a sad smile. "What?"

"I knew you still loved my singing." Sesy teased then giggled. "I'm sorry about Queenie."

"How... how did you know?"

"Her soul was in the waters. I just didn't figure out it was you mourning her."

Arabella just stared at the ground.

"I know you're still hurting and I know to you it doesn't get better but don't let it consume you." Sesy said. "Like pappy always said, 'a new site, a new smile'"