16 | communication

Start from the beginning

"They stayed home, Abhi had prior commitments, Ashvi had an assignment due and Mukti and Nirvaan had a movie night, so it's just the two of us.." he glanced at Ruhaani, "Ruhaani, this my cousin Rohan and Rohan this is my fiancée, Ruhaani."

"Good to meet you, finally!" He said passing her a smile and then turned to Aadarsh, "Yaar, my surprise was a flop."

Aadarsh smiled, "well not entirely. I was surprised, however, better luck next time."

"Arey! let them come in Rohan!" Badi Bua said, hurrying towards the door.

"Yes mom!" He said, extending his arm to invite the guests in.

Ruhaani gulped. There was definitely something going on with her luck today. So many unexpected happenings in a day.

"So, Ruhaani," Rohan said turning to her, Ruhaani's heart almost froze. "I have been hearing your name quite a lot ever since I have stepped foot in the house." 

She managed a smile. So he didn't remember her. Obviously, why would he. She was the one secretly crushing on him. Anyway it was just four days of knowing each other, one couldn't possibly remember that unless it was someone as stupid as her.

"I hope all good," she managed to say.

"Mostly!" He said with a cute blink of eyes and chuckled. 

"Uff!" His mother exclaimed turning to Ruhaani with a smile. "Don't pay heed. Where is the baccha party?"

"At home. It was their movie night, that they didn't want to miss." Rohan repeated Aadarsh's answer.

"Pari also?" She asked surprised, turning to Ruhaani.

"Yes, she wanted to be with them." Ruhaani smiled.

"How is she now?"

"Fit as a fiddle." Ruhaani answered with a warm smile.

"Lo." Phupha Ji who had just emerged from a room commented, "your Bua has been making fryums and potato fries for the kids." 

"No issues, I am going to pack it in dabbas for them." Bua said quickly.

"Very well, but my boy's surprise was a flop show." He put an arm around his son. "Now, you can't possibly fit him into your dabba.." the man joked.

Badi Bua rolled her eyes, turning to her husband. "Not funny."

"I second that." Rohan added. "But on a serious note, I was so looking forward to surprise them all. Gosh, I have missed the lot so much."

"Arey toh, these two won't tell them. You can surprise them tomorrow." His mother suggested.

Ruhaani smiled. It was a treat to watch the senior Desai couple, they were so comfortable with each other, still so much in love with each other. However it was far more satisfying to watch the couple shower love on their son. Rohan was so lucky, he had parents like that. He was so blessed to be growing up under the car and love of these two beautiful people.

"I will get the soup, settle down." Badi Bua instructed, walking back to the kitchen.

"You heard the lady kids!" Her husband announced with a smile.

"These are for you,"Ruhaani said extending the carrier covers towards the senior Desai.

"Is it ice-cream?" He asked in a hushed voice, leaning forward.

"No," Ruhaani replied. She wondered why he would expect her to get ice cream in winter? 

"Then blah." He said making a face.