Chapter Fifteen

Summer 1990

I laid in the fetal position thinking about how Mo looked when I told her it was over I never wanted to end things with her but we needed to due to all the drama going on & Lorenzo threatening my family, I didn't tell Jax that part because I knew ...

I laid in the fetal position thinking about how Mo looked when I told her it was over I never wanted to end things with her but we needed to due to all the drama going on & Lorenzo threatening my family, I didn't tell Jax that part because I knew he would go crazy.

"Jan" Theresa called standing at my bedroom door.

"Yes?"

"You ok?" She asked

I didn't sat anything I just laid there, "Oh sweetie"

She came & sat behind me on my bed, touching my hair.

"Your mom went to work so I wanted to see if you wanted some lunch"

"No" I said as tear came down my face.

"Don't cry Jan, remember that story I was telling you a while ago."

"Yes" I said turning her facing my mom's girlfriend who has became like another mother to me.

"Well the night things changed was when I found out she was dating this well known guy & she wouldn't leave him for me instead she told me what we did was a mistake & too never talk to her again, After everything I did for this woman coming out to my parents & even moving out so we could be together when I was dead broke."

"So what happened to her?" I asked

"Umm Her boyfriend killed her" She told me with saddens in her eyes.

"I wasn't the last woman she slept with & once he found out he shot her then killed his self"

"Theresa I am so sorry"

"It's ok" She said touching my hand

"I told you that story because I see so much of me in you Jan & I don't want you to make the same mistakes I did."

"Do you love that Monique girl?" She asked making me stare right at her.

"I don't-"

"Do you want her back?" I sighed nodding my head

"Well you know what needs to happen, you deserve to be too don't worry about what people say if that's who you love go after that."

Theresa right if I really did love Mo I would never let my brother or Lorenzo come between that, I leaned up hugging Theresa.

"Thank you" I said

"Anytime Janet" She said hugging me back.

I walked to Riah's house so we could talk, I shouldn't have blew up on her like that I just was tired of her always judging me for the things I did.

I made it to the front door knocking twice, the door opened & my best friend stood there will a pissed look on her face.

"What are you doing here?" She asked

"Come on Riah you can't still be mad at me." I said

"I can & I am, you hurt my feelings Jan"

"Well I am sorry about that but I am tired of you judging me I can make my own decisions"

"I know & maybe I was wrong for judging you but I just want you to make the right decision you are my sister Jan, I dont want nothing happening to you because of how you feel about this woman."

"And I am sorry about Jay I know how hard that is for you" She said

"Best friends?" I asked

"Always" She said smiling embracing me in a tight hug.

"So how are things with you & Jax?" I asked Riah as we walked through the neighborhood.

"Girl crazy we broke up two days ago because I found one of his rubbers missing"

"Oh god was he cheating?"

"Hell I hope not but we will be ok we will probably be together tomorrow." She shrugged it off.

"You talk to Mo?" She asked

"Naw not after I told her we needed to end everything between us"

"Seriously?" She asked

"Yeah I can't take the drama anymore, I just want a fresh start you know move away."

"Go where?" She asked

"Maybe Houston, Hell Vegas all I ever wanted was someone to be my equal you know & have a bunch of kids have a regular job & be happy"

"Jan, you can still have that what is keeping you here anyway?" She asked stopping walking & turned staring at me.

"My mom, I can't leave her alone"

"But she has Theresa now you don't have to stay because of that look if you leave I will come with you"

"Really?" I asked

"Of course I can always find someone better than your damn brother & we can have a house together & raise our children together."

"You don't have to do that" I said

"But I want too" Mariah said

We smiled at each other & hugged sideways.

Just then I saw a car coming by & a gun was out the window.

"GET DOWN!" I yelled to Mariah before pulling her down & behind a parked car.

The shots kept coming but then the car sped off, "You ok?" I asked Mariah

"Jan" She said above a whisper, I looked over to see blood on the ground, I glanced up at my best friend to see blood coming from her side.

"Oh my god Mariah!" I screamed

"Help!" I yelled grabbing my best friend & hoping someone heard me.

"Riah stay with me" I told her crying hysterically as she went in & out.

I couldn't loose my best friend I just couldn't.