41 | [the night of the party]

Start from the beginning

Ella whispered. "You don't know that she'll come back."

"Her father will make her," she said, disgusted. "Just like how he won't change his will. It will all go to her. Every penny of it."

Vesper was a lot of things, but she was not malicious. Still, Ella stayed quiet. 

Her mother looked at Ella's tear-stained condition. Something softened in her eyes and she wiped away the dears. "Dear, you know Mother only wants what's best for m-you. You don't want to start living in her shadow again, do you?"

"I-" Ella wasn't sure what she wanted, but then she thought of how hard she fought at Queens. How today she would finally become a blue blood. Gabriella's conviction hardened. "No. I don't. I won't let her take what's mine."

"Good, Gabriella," her mother smiled as if she were finally proud of her. "Then you will get ready and go to that party of yours."

x

Ella thought of Vesper's call from yesterday as she stepped her way up to Blake's private jet that was chartered to go to Blue Blood island. Her birthday was the same day Vesper's mother and brother died. Those days, Vesper flew to Blue Blood island to visit their graves.

Ella felt uneasy. Surely her mother took care of that. Right?

"Ella!" Shannon squealed, hugging her arms around her tightly. "What took you so long? We were waiting for you!"

Ella plastered a smirk Shannon knew all too well. "I needed to take care of some stuff."

"Ah, so you started to get drunk early, huh?" Shannon giggled as they made their way to everyone else. Ella took note of everyone here.

Blake lounged in the corner with Mason. Gloria, Satin, and Kalina whispered about something and erupted into a fit of laughter. Helen sat far away from Blake, causing Ella to wonder about that. Avery was conversing intently with Erik at the other end, though when he felt her gaze, his silver eyes flickered up to her. A wave of embarrassment flushed her cheeks as she thought of how he humiliated her twice already. A smirk fell to his lips and she forced herself to look away.

Sometimes she forgot how attractive he was and sometimes she wished he was the one she chased after in the beginning.

 "Everyone's here so we're about to take off. We should get there sometime this evening," Shannon informed her. As they approached, every person looked up to Ella.

Ella had been too caught up in her excitement to notice the flash of hostility in their eyes and lukewarm greeting. Still, everyone played along. The girls kissed her cheeks. The guys greeted her if necessary. When Ella turned around, Clara Jane walked in.

"Shannon. Ella." Clara smiled broadly, eyes sweeping across the plane to note every person's reaction. Her green eyes shifted back to her. "Are you excited?"

"I've never been more excited. Wanna get a drink?" Ella asked. Shannon was about to follow but Satin called her over. Ella watched slyly as Shannon gave Clara an apologetic and wistful look before parting from the both of them. 

"So," Clara murmured as they sat at the private jet's bar, "You're going to be a blue blood."

Those words ran a thrill through her veins. Still, Ella had hung around these people to know that you could not come off desperate. Instead, she played along coolly. "Why would you say that? It's just my birthday party."

"Please," Clara smirked at her, "Everyone knows this is a blue blood initiation party. It's tradition to celebrate a new member at Blue Blood island. Everyone who received the invite is going. It's been years since they've partied there."