35 | sasha laurence

x

Those with the prettiest faces hide their rotting hearts the easiest.

x

The only reason why the rumors of Shannon and Gloria had faded was because of the approaching Autumn Solstice Ball.

The Autumn Equinox Ball was the first event of the "debutante season", which were only for seventh years at Queens Academy. Avery told me that three other academies from around the world that were also involved, but they would only come for the Winter and Summer Solstice ball. The Autumn and Spring balls would be held at each respective academy.

This year, my stepmother had gotten on the board for planning the event. She had been trying for ages, but it was only until the Dean pulled me into his office to ask for my "thoughts" on the issue.

"Ms. Du Sang," the Dean, Satin's father, had asked rather meekly. "The board is rather... conflicted with adding your stepmother on the Board."

Because of Ella. No one in this school knew of my relationship with her and the Dean sure as hell was smart enough to pretend he had no idea either. "What does this have to do with me?"

"We were wondering if she was... in a suitable state to take up the huge responsibility."

They were wondering if my stepmother was grieving. I laughed hard enough to make the Dean afraid of me. "Yes," I nodded, "She's more than in a suitable state." It was complicated to explain, but my stepmother loved Ella, but not enough.

"You were an accident," she'd yell at Ella, when we were children, but then she'd lovingly pat her head when she burst into tears. "But that doesn't mean you were a mistake. I just regret doing things that don't bring me benefit, dear."

For the past month, she had left me alone because she was too busy with the ball and socializing. The Autumn Ball's theme this year was Mother Nature.

"Vesper, Avery," Helen greeted cordially as we stepped into the foyer. "Everything has been transferred and arranged. We'll head to the dressing rooms and then in a few hours, the ball will begin. Parents and important figures will attend."

Avery gave her a nod and briefly kissed my forehead before joining the guys in leaving the room. Erik's eyes met mine for a split second. I watched him leave, then Avery, with a cold ball of tension in my stomach before turning to Helen, Kalina, and Satin.

"They've sent limousines to every Cadre house," Kalina said to me as we left the dorm house. "Debutante Season is only for seventh years- and not only from our academy. There are three other academies that take part in the joint planning committee."

I failed to maintain my surprise. "Three more?"

"The schools will come to our academy for the Winter and Summer Solstice Ball, but not the Autumn and Spring Equinox Ball. Anyway, it's a long and complicated history Avery can tell you," Kalina waved off before a sly grin appeared on her face. Helen and Satin had climbed in the back of the limo. "Speaking of him, what happened between the both of you?"

I paused, wariness in my words. Was it that obvious? "What do you mean? Nothing happened."

Kalina raised her eyebrow. "I've never seen you so cold with him." She dramatically raised a hand to her heart. "It hurts me to see that my favorite couple has trouble in paradise."

He lied to me. "We just don't like showing public affection that much. Don't worry."

I followed Kalina in the limousine and the chauffeur closed the door for us. Helen and Satin were barely talking, displaying the resentment they have for each. This was all hidden to the public eye, of course. Everyone thought we were all best friends, when in reality, Kalina and Helen had a broken relationship, Satin was hated by them, and I was detached from all three them. They barely knew the first thing about me.