36 | please, don't start now

x

[entry]

Avery Dragomir was someone very private. And I mean extremely private.

I've been around the blue bloods for a month and I still didn't know the first thing about him. I thought he avoided me out of respect for Cole, since I was basically dating him, but after observing him, I don't think it's that.

There's this resentment he carries with him. It's in the way he avoids the blue bloods, everyone that approaches him, even in the way he casts his gaze around in boredom. He doesn't fake that "bored" look like all the other blue bloods. Avery Dragomir is genuinely bored and annoyed.

Then why was he here? He could be at Harvard or he could work to inherit his daddy's massive corporations. One thing was for sure, I had nothing on him. It was unfair. He was the sort of person you would instantly guess was wealthy. He didn't wear anything shiny. No, this was the sort of wealth inbred in him. He embodied wealth in subtle mannerisms.

How do I explain this? My dear younger sister Vesper would never notice it as keenly as I do because she has wealth ingrained in her as well. The real sort of wealth. Humble, quiet, elegant, the sort that doesn't shout. It's something you can't buy.

I hated it. I hated that I could not have that.

The last time I tried to seduce him still embarrassed me whenever I thought of it. Whenever he looked at me, I could practically see the amusement in his eyes. But of course, he was too polite and did not care enough about me to say mention it.

One night, though, I get lucky. I find him by on the patio, where all the blue bloods are, but he's alone. He's staring far into the night sky and I remember wondering if he had someone he genuinely liked around him. I remember wondering if he loved someone that loved and cherished him back. I've seen the way Shannon treated him. She only uses him.

So do I. I only use Vesper.

I never let that thought stay long. I can't. The guilt is too much. I love her. I love her. I would never use her in a way to harm her. Never.

Anyway, maybe because it was unplanned on my part or maybe I was just tired, but I approached him and said, "Please."

"Excuse me?" there it was. The amusement. God, he'd get along well with Vesper.

"Don't play dumb," my cheeks flushed and for once, it wasn't because of his looks and intelligence that made me feel inferior. It was because I was ashamed. "You know I only want your vote. I'll do anything."

"Anything?" he mused, almost taunting.

"Even if you want to sleep with me," I said suggestively. Once upon a time, I would have cringed at declaring that, but that girl had died early on in the chapters of my book.

He laughed. It was the sort of laugh that made me understand why everyone wanted Avery Dragomir. "Love, I don't want to sleep with you. I thought I made it clear last time."

My face flamed red. He was so infuriating! "Then what do you want from me? You have everything."

Avery slowly turned to me. "Do you really believe that?"