chapter thirty-one

━━ CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE / love

Her bedroom felt cold and Demi didn't want to be in there. She didn't want to be under the covers, she didn't want to be at the desk. She didn't want to be here. She didn't want to be at Portland Row and that made her sad and angry. More angry than she had been in so long. The little family she had created where she thought she would be safe had failed her.

She wasn't safe, she wasn't safe anywhere and Lockwood had promised. He had promised to protect her but he just couldn't even do that. He hadn't done that. And he got angry at George and shouted at Lucy for just wanting someone to believe them. She was so frustrated and then he knocked at her door and her head snapped up.

The door opened and Lockwood stood there, awkwardly. She glared up at him and he sighed. He pushed the door open, slipping into her room before he shut the door behind himself. Demi got up from the bed, putting as much distance between them as she could. That made Lockwood frown more as he watched her. She stood by the window on the opposite side of the room while he stood by the door still.

"Demi, I'm sorry," He said softly but it just made her scoff. She shook her head and lifted her gaze to meet his.

"You're not." It was a simple fact. He was glad that they had done it because it was money that they needed. Demi couldn't blame him for that but she hated his empty words. His empty apologies and promises. It wasn't good enough anymore.

"Dem," His voice was so quiet and gentle but she couldn't deal with it anymore. With him. It was infuriating.

"No. You don't get to say my name like that and walk away from this unscathed," She snapped as she stared at him. His eyebrows furrowed and he opened his mouth to try and dispute that. He wasn't intentionally trying anything. He just wanted her to be okay.

"I'm not trying to-" He attempted but Demi cut him off.

"Lockwood, I don't feel safe here anymore." She wasn't sure why she came out with that off the bat. Maybe she just wanted to hurt him as much as he had been hurting her since Combe Carey or maybe it was because she just wanted him to fix it. But Lockwood's entire demeanour crumbled.

"What?" He responded, his eyebrows pulled down as he watched her move. Her head was downturned and she looked so guilty, so tired, so sad. He had never seen her look so sad. Not even after Combe Carey or the night that he first met her. This was different.

"You keep promising me that I'll be okay. That I'll be safe but I... I'm not. I'm not safe because you keep putting us in danger," The words spilled from her lips with no real rhyme or reason. She wasn't sure how to say it and she hated being blunt. She hated being cruel with her words but nothing better described how she felt.

"George tried to tell you not to come," Lockwood mumbled but it was the wrong this. Demi's head snapped up again, meeting his gaze. She didn't look happy.