chapter fifteen

━━ CHAPTER FIFTEEN / jealousy, jealousyepisode two, part four

episode two, part four.

The sitting room and library had been fully set-up for the contacting of Annabel now. The furniture had been pushed back into the corners, a single chair lay in the centre of the sitting room in place of where the coffee table should have been. The curtains were pulled tightly closed to keep any of the sunlight out and Lucy was ready.

She was already sitting in the chair and Demi was standing back in the library. Her body was leaning against the mantle, trying to keep the pressure off her back as much as she could. It still hurt like hell but she was trying to ignore it in favour of focusing on Lucy.

"If she takes any liberties, we're right here, okay?" Lockwood said as he held the box with the Source cautiously in his hand. Lucy nodded and Demi moved her gaze from Lucy to Lockwood and then Erin. Erin Hampton who was in their house. A Hampton was in their house. Demi tried not to be astounded by it but she was. It was bizarre. It made no sense. It was ridiculous but she tore her gaze away before Erin caught her staring.

It shouldn't have been that big of a deal. Big clients would become a necessity soon enough. It would be fine. Demi watched as Lockwood dropped the ring into Lucy's hand and then he stepped back. He took his spot behind Demi and she sent him a cautious yet somewhat reassuring smile before she turned back to Lucy.

"It's okay, Annabel. It' safe," Lucy said softly as her fist closed around the ring. The whole room was deadly silent as they all waited in anticipation for what Lucy would say and after a few seconds she said, "There's a song playing." Then Lucy began to smile and Demi tried her best to adjust her position. The ache in her back suddenly returned, "She loves it. It's their song."

"Who's they? Annabel and-" George attempted to question but Lockwood was quick to shush him. The boy still had yet to put pants on and he was sat with his notebook, scribbling down any relevant notes.

"She's so happy," Demi glanced towards Erin but her face seemed unreadable. So, she focused back on Lucy. Lockwood had shuffled closer to Demi now, his hand gently nudged hers. Their fingers touched but he didn't grab her hand, "She loves him." Demi paused at those words, her gaze downturned when she realised where this was really going. They had barely filled her in about what they researched about Annabel between the bruising and her attempt at a nap but it didn't take much for Demi to put it together. Annabel was murdered by her lover.

"She's dancing to the song. He's watching her," Lucy said and a few seconds later she suddenly stood up. Both Demi and Lockwood quickly moved to attention. Even if the way her shoulders stiffed made her back ache like hell. Erin also seemed to come to attention and worry seemed to pass over her face.

"He wants her but it's just," Lucy was walking straight to Lockwood. Demi stepped back, not wanting to risk being too close to the Source. The scream that had reverberated through her skull was enough to put her off being near it, ever again. Lucy stopped a step or so in front of Lockwood and the confusion and hurt seemed to appear.