chapter twenty-seven

━━ CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN/ wraith-huntingepisode four, part one

episode four, part one.

Lucy had passed out in the basement and Demi had only noticed when she heard the boys arguing in the hallway while carrying the brunette. It had disturbed Demi's nap and the guilty look on Anthony's face when Demi opened the door was hard to miss. Her hair was ruffled, her eyes were half-closed, the exhaustion hung in her movements as she stared at them.

"What the fuck did you do," Demi mumbled as she let her hands hang by her side. The boys didn't really know how to explain and the two seemed to talk over each other. It only took Demi a minute to huff out and tell them to tell her later. She then proceeded to close the door and curl back up in Lockwood's bed.

Ten minutes later, he reappeared back in his room and climbed into the bed behind Demi, who was dozing off again now. She let out a soft grumble when she felt his arm wrap around her stomach, pulling her backwards, against him.

"What?" She mumbled softly under her breath. He nudged his head into the back of hers, enjoying the moment. And Demi was too. The warmth that radiated off him was comforting and his smell seemed to fill the air, his arms curled around her.

"Are you up for a job later?" He asked softly. Demi groaned softly and he chuckled against the back of her head, "George is researching the house. Probably wraiths," He added. Demi let out another huff before she rolled over in bed. Her eyes were still half-closed as she looked up into his eyes. His arms had moved around her waist again, tightly holding her as she looked into his eyes.

"You need me, don't you?" Demi asked. There was a teasing lilt to her tone but he could tell that she was tired. It was cute and he couldn't help the grin that appeared on his face. It was unmissable.

"George and I will be fine without you. Lucy's asleep," Lockwood responded, a hint of arrogance in his tone. Demi scoffed and she shuffled forward to rest her head against his chest. She listened to the way his heart beated softly. The sound ricocheted through his ribcage as she wrapped her arms around him.

"I'll come. Just let me sleep for a few more hours," She negotiated. He nodded and pressed a kiss to her head.

"Alright." She smiled and tilted her head up, pressing a kiss to the corner of his lips and his cheek before her head hit the pillow again. He looked playfully annoyed and she chuckled, a dopey smile on her lipps. Her head buried into the pillow, not willing to give in to him. So, he pressed a soft kiss to her lips, mumbling about her being rude. She ignored him and her eyes fell closed, finally relaxed in his arms.

-

The night had been a complete and utter fucking disaster. Demi didn't say that lightly considering how fucked Combe Carey Hall had been. But it was. Not only was it a cluster case of wraiths, not one or two as they had believed but she had been completely overwhelmed and unable to find the source because she was convinced that there were about twenty different sources.