chapter five

━━ CHAPTER FIVE / traitor

The basement had gone silent now that Demi had finished her training. She had been bored and wanted to make sure her fencing skills were as good as they used to be. They were, nothing changed but as she slung the sword out of the scabbard, she had cut across her wrist. It had been a mistake, one she had made multiple times until somebody taught her how to properly hold herself but old habits die hard.

Especially when it had been a while since she'd had a chance to use the rapier properly. Her wrist was bleeding through her t-shirt and she was quick to pull it up her arm as she took the stairs two at a time to get into the kitchen.

She gritted her teeth against the pain as she walked over to the kitchen sink. She hadn't even bothered to check if anyone was in the kitchen before she flicked the tap on and stuck her bleeding wrist underneath. Demi let out a soft hiss but the pain soon eased up as she glanced around and George was there.

He still hadn't apologised. She had absolutely nothing she wanted to say to him but he was cooking on the stove and from the brief look she had given it, it was pasta. That needed straining. She turned back to the sink, not even acknowledging him.

"I was about to strain my pasta," George sounded mildly annoyed and Demi shrugged her shoulders in response. That was the best response she had given him in two days. Part of her wanted to speak but the bigger part of her wanted to be petty.

"Strain your pasta around me," Demi retorted, annoyance lacing her tone. It was the first time they had communicated outside of the table cloth since the toaster incident. Anthony was in the library so he could probably hear the two of them through the open kitchen door. She didn't particularly want him to know what she had done or what was happening, she felt stupid enough that she'd lost the technique and cut herself. She didn't want Anthony teasing her about breaking her silent treatment of George as well.

"I don't want blood in my pasta!" George huffed in response. He was surprised by her speaking but she was annoying him nonetheless. Demi scoffed and pulled her wrist from under the tap. She then stepped back and looked around for a towel to put over it while she waited for George to be done. But there was no tea towel around, George was using it to hold the handle of the pot to strain the pasta.

"Boys, they're so dramatic," Demi spat in response. Her back rested against the counter as she lifted up her bloody wrist so she could see it. She poked at the bloody wound and watched as the blood dripped down her arm. She'd certainly had worse cuts from her rapier and even George had given her a bruise that felt much worse. The toaster had left a bruise on her stomach that made it somewhat difficult to exist.

She didn't notice until she was halfway through her run and she knocked her stomach against the edge of a wall. It had been an accident but it hurt like hell. The last half of her run took twice as long as a result and sitting down hurt. All because George's stupid crumbs had jammed the toaster. It had lightened a little now and the pain had subsided somewhat but it still hurt.