chapter twenty-nine

━━ CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE / fittes, rotwellepisode four, part three

episode four, part three.

Night had fallen and they were in a taxi heading to Kensal Green Cemetery. Demi was a little nervous but most of it had vanished after she took a well-needed nap. Also, Lockwood's reassuring words helped. Anything he said helped, though. It was just something about him. She loved him so much, she hated it. She hated that she loved how arrogant he was.

But that wasn't important as they sat in the taxi. How she felt about the man that sat across from her was the least of their worries as they trundled closer and closer to the unmarked grave. They were all a little worried about what they were about to face. Nobody would say it but another strong spirit and one that had made someone pass out was concerning.

However, they were Lockwood & Co and this is what they were best at. So, they would be fine. If the Relic Men didn't catch them first.

"Let's keep our wits about us. We do not want to get jumped by relic men," Lockwood voiced what Demi was already thinking. She nodded, sending him a half-smile. George had been watching the brunette since they had gotten in the taxi. He was worried. He had been since Combe Carey but he started to show it now.

"Who even keeps those arseholes in business? I don't understand," Lucy snapped as she moved her hand away from her mouth where she had just been biting her nails.

"There's a lot of rich twisted bastards out there who want something to scandalise their equally twisted mates," Lockwood responded, his elbow resting against the small window ledge. He was wearing his ring and Demi couldn't help but notice it. The light reflected off it as they passed ghost lights. He was so pretty.

"It's so messed up," Lucy mumbled. Demi shrugged and she forced her gaze off Lockwood to turn back to the streets of London.

"But not surprising. Sources are fascinating and illegal. Put those two things together, there's your black market," George commented. His eyes had widened considerably, he seemed excited by the prospect of illegal Sources. That came as a surprise to nobody in the taxi. You didn't steal a Source from one of the biggest Agencies in Fittes for fun.

"A ruthless one at that. Relic men are the scum of the earth. I know one notable exception but by and large, they'll kill you without hesitation," Lockwood explained but Demi was quick to cut in.

"Two exceptions," She corrected. Lockwood looked at her for a moment, the brief confusion flickering over his face before he realised who she was talking about and nodded his head.

"Either away, if you see one, run," Lockwood warned. Demi nodded. That was one thing that they could agree on. A relic man was more likely to kill you than a visitor ever would. Though, that was always the case. Humans are the most dangerous animals of all.

The taxi was getting to the cemetery now and there was a crowd. A crowd that Demi had only had the displeasure of interacting with once and George's words were almost exactly what Demi was thinking, "This lot are almost as crazy." Demi hummed in agreement.