chapter six

━━ CHAPTER SIX / the ring

The case went well for the trio and their routine returned to normal pretty quickly afterwards. George and Lockwood had had a little spat which meant that they were now ignoring each other but Demi was fine. She tried her best to ignore their little spats and she knew they would eventually get over themselves. Lockwood had just made another stupid plan which George hated, as usual.

It could have been worse though. So, Demi continued with her routine and now that the bruises had cleared up and the cut on her wrist had mostly healed, she felt normal and she could run without being in any sort of pain. And to make up for her distinct lack of running over the past few days, she stayed out for an hour instead of half an hour that morning.
Her calves burnt when she walked down Portland Row up to their little terrace. Her chest heaved up and down, her breath ragged as she pushed her key into the lock. But the door opened before she could even get a chance to twist it. Lockwood sent her a small smile before letting out a soft 'uh-huh' in response to whoever it was on the phone.

His hair was still wet. Stuck to his forehead and some water droplets dripped down his neck as she slipped past him into the house. The towel was secured firmly around his waist as she pushed the front door closed. Her eyebrows knitted together. It was still early and she was wondering who would call this early in the morning. Likely a client but she decided to wait, listening to their conversation. Curious as to who it was.

She stepped across the hallway to the door into the sitting room and checked how red her face was in the mirror above the fireplace. It had looked worse but it was still red. She pushed her fingers across her face, wiping any sweat away before she turned back around. Lockwood was talking back to the client now and she leant against the doorframe, facing him.

Her chest was still rising and falling jaggedly and she was trying to normalise it. But the harder she tried, the worse it got so instead she closed her eyes and let her tilt to the side. Lockwood's words went in one ear and out the other but she could hear how he began to smile.

"Oh, of course, we'll do anything to help. Thank you for calling. I'll get someone to drop the forms to your house soon." Demi turned to watch him as he smiled. He was charming even through the phone and then he placed it down onto the receiver.

"Who was that?" Demi asked. She had a good guess but she wanted him to say it.

"New client," He grinned. Demi smiled right back and she pushed off the door frame, "I'll need someone to drop the forms off at the house when we go to the Archives. We need to do some research," He said as he urged her upstairs. She glanced back at him and headed up towards the bathroom. She needed a shower before she went anywhere.

"So you're talking again?" Demi asked. Anthony hummed in response and she smiled softly, glad that they had sorted it out, "Are you done in the shower?" She asked. Lockwood nodded his head. She expected some sort of sarcastic comment but he didn't really say much.