Chapter 4 - Ballroom Blitz

It was 2017 at 2:30. A dad was teaching his son how to use a gun.

"Yes, buddy. That's it. Both hands on the gun. Just aim and pull. You got thick Nickelous."

Nickelous aimed at a target that his father set up. Nickelous pulled the trigger. He missed the target.

"Agh! That's so loud. And I missed," Nickelous said as he put down the gun and held his ears.

"I know but it has to be loud. And it's okay. I missed the first time I shot a gun. You just have to try again, okay?" Nickelous dad said as he put his hand on Nickelous's shoulder.

"No. I don't want to do that again. It's too loud. You know my ears are sensitive," Nikelous said as he backed away from the gun.

Nickelous's dad tried to think. "You know, when I used to be out in the field, I would listen to my music with my very special earbuds. I would listen to my favorite music and shoot at the beat. It's helped me a lot when I was in combat."

Nickelous's dad pulled out his special earbuds from his pocket and handed them to Nickelous. Nickelous put the earbuds in his ears.

"Just try again. One more time," Nickelous's dad said as he hands Nickelous the gun. Nickelous took the gun and held it with two hands.

"Here, I'm going to start up one of my favorite songs. Just shoot at the right beats," Nickelous's dad said as he got his phone out and get ready to start the music.

"What are the right beats?" Nickelous asked as he is still a bit nervous.

"You'll know. You got this bud," Nikelous's dad started the music. Nickelous was listening to the music. He got ready and aimed his gun at the target. Nickelous listened for the right beat. Once he heard the right beat, he started shooting. He shot a full bullseye.

"YES! Look at you! You did it!" Nickelous's dad said with such joy. Nickelous was speechless. Nickelous's dad ran over to Nickelous and give him a hug.

"Oh, I'm so proud of you. I knew you could do it," Nickelous's dad gave Nickelous a loving kiss on the head. Nickelous was proud of himself for what happened.

It was 8:00 at night at Nickelous's beautiful house. Nickelous and his dad sat on the couch with popcorn. They started up a movie. Suddenly, they heard the doorbell ring. Nickelous's dad quickly walked up to the door. He looked through the window to see who it was. He was suddenly in fear. He ran back over to Nickelous.

"Okay, buddy. Remember those drills that we do, just incase we are in danger. Well we are going to be doing what we do in the drill. Okay?" Nickelous's dad said, trying to bring as much comfort to Nickelous as possible.

"What's going on? Who are those people at the door?" Nickelous asked, worried.

"Those men outside are not good people. I'm going to try to get them to leave but I need to make sure you're safe. So remember how we do the drill. We get you to the hidden basement and have where you will stay safe. You get your gun and you make sure it's loaded. Got it?" Nickelous's dad was trying to keep Nickelous calm but he will not lie to his son.

"Dad...I'm scared," A teardrop drew down from Nickelous's eye. Nickelous's dad put both of his hands on both sides of Nickelous's cheeks.

"I know, bud. This is going to be scary. But I'm going to make sure you are safe. I promise, you are going to be okay. You ready?" Nickelous's dad says as he held Nickelous's hand.

Nickelous noded. His dad guided him to the other side of the house where they opened the door of the secret basement.

"Okay, bud. This is where I leave you off. The gun is on the table down there. Get the gun and then hide, okay bud?" Nickelous's dad said.