Chapter 46: Surprises and PTSD

Chapter 46

Katniss P.O.V.

Effie has made some big changes in the play. For one she changed Glimmer's and Ella's roles. Mindy is now Josh's sister and Leven is his witch girlfriend.

No one said anything about it when Effie explained it. Everyone thought it made more sense somehow. So now we're re-rehearsing the play hardcore on the drama classes, with the new changes. It's not that hard, everyone just has to work harder. But in the end I think that the play is going to turn out pretty good.

"I don't like playing a mean role, but I think it's going to be excellent", Glimmer says at the lunch table.

"Me too", Annie agrees taking a bite of her apple.

"I'll be right back", Ella says.

She back away her wheelchair from the table and steers it to the fruit. I guess she forgot to buy an apple.

We all look after her as she rolls herself over to the fruit. She's a real fighter. I haven't heard her complain even one single time about the fact that she can't walk.

People are looking after her as she rolls herself forward. She ignores everyone's eyes. People are looking at me as well. And when we entered the school together, you would think that we were Michael Jackson coming back from the dead or something at the way people were staring at us.

Ella has now arrived by the fruit table. But the apple bowl is too far from her reach in the chair. She tries to reach it though, causing a few people in the cafeteria to laugh.

One of the guys who are laughing gets a slap in his head by one of his friends. They're football players. I know their names. The jerk is Dan Wilson, and the one who slapped his head, looking angry, is the nice guy, he's name is Tyler Vikingson. He's actually a nice guy. Peeta and the other boys talks very well of him.

I'm about to stand up and walk to help Ella when a certain Tyler stands up and steer his feet towards Ella.

With a frown on my face I sink back into the chair and feel Peeta grab my hand. I look up at him. He looks slightly amused.

"Look", he whispers and nods with his head towards Ella.

Tyler smiles talking to Ella as he reaches for a red apple. He stops in his move, looking at Ella and reaches for a green apple.

He gives her the apple and it looks like she's thanking him. He smiles and reaches for her hand. He squeezes it and says goodbye, by the looks of things. Before he walks away, he winks at her with smirk on his lips.

When Ella rolls her chair back to our table I can see how red her face is.

A smug grin spreads across my face when she parks her wheelchair by the table, putting the apple on her food tray.

Ella just picks up a few fries, dips them in mayonnaise and puts them in her mouth. She picks up her water bottle and takes a sip.

What is she doing? She sees how we're all looking at her, but she totally ignores it. Or tries to ignore it.

"Yeah, let's just sit here until we grow old", Clove nods. "Let's sit here for as long as it takes, we're not curious at all".

Ella looks up.

"He was just being helpful that's all", Ella says low.

"Nah-ah! Girl he was flirting with you", Glimmer says. "I can see it before it happens".

"Why would he do that? It doesn't make any sense", Ella says. "Come on, let's just get going".

She puts the water bottle in her bag and takes the apple and puts it in her lap, starting to roll herself backwards.