Chapter 35: Basement

Chapter 35

Katniss P.O.V.

My head hurts like hell. God, it pounds and pounds like someone is hitting me with a baseball bat or something.

And my thigh stings. Although I feel like something is tied around it, harder than it should be.

Without opening my eyes, I feel what I'm lying on. I think it's a mattress. A hard one, but at least a mattress. The air around me is cold, no, freezing to be exact.

I can feel, even with my eyes closed, that it's dark in the room, my eyelids are dark, so that means that the room is as well.

There are sounds from above me. Steps. Hard once. Maybe I'm in a basement?

I open my eyes. I was right. It is dark, and I am in the basement. There are all kinds of crap in here.

Some bandage is tied around my leg, onto the wound, I guess only to stop the bleeding. But I can get blood poisoning or an infection or something. Because I'm sure that they did not bother to clean the wound or the bandage for that matter. It's tied hard, and I can't get the knot up, it's too tightly tied.

I look at what I'm lying on. It is a mattress, a very dirty mattress, and it's torn. And some spots of something dark and red.

God is that blood?

A cold feeling spreads through my body and I jump off the mattress. I limp-run for the door and starts banging on it.

"Let me out of here!" I yell. "Let me out you psychos!"

Is this Peeta's stalkers? Have I actually been kidnapped by my boyfriends stalkers? Is this really happening? This can't be true! This has to be a horrible, horrible dream. A nightmare, a big big nightmare.

I continue to yell and bang the hardest I can with my fists on the door. Each bang is harder than the last as my fists gets in contact with the metal door. I feel how the sides of my fists starts to swollen up. It starts to hurt really bad.

"Let me the fuck out of here!" I roar. "God you'd be in trouble if I had my bow here".

"You know", comes an hissing, creepy manly voice that makes it crawl under my skin. "That soon you'll realize that you're not in a position to make any threats".

He's right of course. Like what the hell am I supposed to do?

God! This feels awful! I've read about girls being kidnapped and murdered and raped and things on the news. But I've never thought I would be one of them. That's not something you think, and especially not from your own home, where you are supposed to feel safe no matter what. I wasn't out late, I wasn't walking alone in the dark. It was in the middle of the day, and I was at home.

That just makes it even worse though, because that would mean that they planned on kidnapping me. Kidnapping someone from their home isn't something you just do, you have to plan everything exact, watch the house, look up how many lives in the house, when they'll be gone and when the target stays. I'm always with the others, I'm very rarely by myself.

I could never ever have imagined that this could happen to me. I've always felt safe. Maybe that's the problem though. Maybe I should've watched my back and taken the texts more seriously and this wouldn't have happened. Maybe I would be home and not kidnapped.

"You can't keep me in here until I die!" I yell, and bang harder onto the door.

I know very well that they actually can. They don't care if I die, because if they did care, they would never have kidnapped me. Why did they kidnap me? They seem old, are they really Peeta's stalkers? That seems a bit weird. Well I guess Peeta has fans of all ages.