Chapter 31: Mellark's

Chapter 31

Peeta's P.O.V.

So apparently Jeni has been talking a lot about Katniss with my dad and made him curious. He asked me to ask her to come to dinner at his house.

Jeni and my dad talks a whole lot to be siblings, especially for being so many years apart. I talk a lot too and of course I've mentioned Katniss, to my dad and my brothers, but Jeni must have told them so much more than I did.

Anyway, I promised my dad that I'd ask her and that's what I'm about to do right now.

After our talk two days ago we've been closer than ever before. And it was the first time we ever said we love each other. When I saw Katniss cry, I had to make a real effort not to start crying myself. It was so heart wrecking it physically hurt to see the crystal clear tears flow down her big silvery eyes and hear those small choked sobs coming out of her throat.

At first I tried to ignore her but I couldn't. I can't ignore the girl I love. She's too wonderful and innocent.

One time I did have a chance of having a girlfriend. But before I could have real feelings for her I realized that her feelings for me was not real. It hurt me so much and I thought that I'd never find a girl with real feelings for me. Maybe that's why I liked Katniss even when she didn't like me, when she strongly disliked me, and when we became friends I knew that it wasn't because I'm me, famous and all. And that means so much to me.

As I enter the kitchen I find the others there. Katniss is sitting on the counter with a bowl of grapes in her hand, looking tiredly at Cato who's holding up a toaster.

"You can't even make toast", Cato says. "Look at this!"

Gale was holding up something black and disgusting. It takes me a minute to realize that it's a piece of burnt bread. Something tells me that Katniss tried to make breakfast again, but the others stopped her before she could start the fire alarm again.

"What's going on?" I ask amused as I cross my arms over my chest with a grin on my face.

"Well this one right here tried to make toast", Madge says looking at Katniss who just shrugs her shoulders while popping a grape into her mouth. "Maybe one of the easiest things you could make, one would think".

"I guess the only thing I can make is water", she says and I chuckle.

"That's because it already exists, either you take a bottle or a glass and fill it with water", Gale says.

"Oh come on", I say, walking up to Katniss. "Everyone can't be good at everything".

"But you're good at baking, cooking, painting, singing", Katniss lists up. "And let's not forget math".

"Yeah that's right, Katniss is your student", Annie giggles.

"I thought it was illegal to date your teacher in this state", Marvel says devilish.

Katniss rolls her eyes and make a tired, irritated sound.

"Just shut up", she says. "I'll date him as much as I want and do what I want".

"Aha", Cato says wiggling his eyebrows.

I could tell them that Katniss and I haven't had sex yet, to shut them up. But I really don't see how that's any of their business, so I just keep my mouth shut.

"Let's leave the love birds alone", Finnick says and takes Annie's hand.

The others shrugs their shoulders and walk out of the kitchen.

"You do realize that they always diss my food", Katniss says to me when we're alone.

"Yes, but I don't", I point out. "I ate the egg you made yesterday, remember?"