Chapter 16 𝐄𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝

Start from the beginning

"Alexis, where are you going?" Jake asked, looking at me. "I'm just climbing, don't worry" I said, walking away. I heard Jake sigh, I sat on a tree, looking around for Neytiri.

"Scanning." Norm stated, holding out his device. "Oh, wow! It's that fast?" Norm gasped in amazement.

The tree roots were on screen, showing a budding life force that was flowing through each and everyone.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Grace laughed. "So, that is signal transduction from this root to the root of the tree next to it. So, we should take a sample." She explained.

"Okay. Sample." Norm agreed and began looking though his pack.

Jake sighed, as he was bored, about three times as Grace had spoken. He started to walked away from the pair as they continued to talk about the life force of the tree.

I watched Jake carefully and followed after him, staying in his sight.

"You know, it's probably electrical." Norm pointed out. "Based on the speed of the reaction." "Norm, you've contaminated the sample with your saliva." Grace sighed.

"Oh, right." Norm's cheeks flushed.

I had gotten down from the tree and moved into the next one, closer to him. I watched Jake leave Grace and Norm alone.

I continued to stay in the tree line, by some thicker branches, I watched him curiously, making sure he didn't hurt himself.

As he walked and turned around a cluster of the trees.

Jake admired large and strange flower-like plants that grew enormously and in a large number together. He touched one gently and it shrunk, disappearing into the ground.

He gasped and I chuckled quietly to myself seeing him recoil so easily.

Jake stopped and turned his body, checking on Grace. Seeing her and Norm still fine and next to the trees, he moved forward again, reaching for an even bigger version of the plant.

He touched it again and chuckled this time as it recoiled into the ground.

I couldn't help but be amazed and wonder by Jake and the fascination he had with the simple flora.

Jake reached out and touched another one, making multiple in the field of flora close down and disappear.

I lifted my head slightly over the branches guarding me and I gasped. I was seeing a herd of Hammerhead Titanotheres not too far away from the flora since they'd been known to use them as cover.

They were large rhinoceros-like creatures, and one was in the field with the man.

The herd wasn't too far away. Especially as this one roared like a trumpet at him as it's cover disappeared.

Jake's relaxed body suddenly turned stiff seeing the unknown creature, while Grace and Norm came running towards him for aid. Jake aimed the gun at the creature and I gasped quietly.

Grace approached, explaining the creature to him.

"Don't shoot. Don't shoot, you'll piss him off." Grace assured Jake through their com links. She and Norm hid behind a nearby tree.

The hammerhead trumpeted angrily and smashed it's hammerhead-like trunk into the trees on either side of him. "It's already pissed off." Jake retorted and held up the gun.

"Jake, that Armor's too thick. Trust me. "Don't do it Jake" I told him.

Reluctantly, Jake removed the gun from facing the creature, pointing it in the air instead.