18

Reyna, Lucia, Bianca, and surprisingly Piper, were currently on their way to Camp Half-Blood with Festus giving them a ride.

"Are you sure it's safe to drive this thing without Leo?" Reyna asked. "None of us really know how it works."

"Relax." Piper assured them. "Festus is cool."

Lucia didn't know what she felt about riding a giant robot dragon. While it was indeed awesome, it didn't change the fact that it was still a dragon that could chew Lucia into pieces.

Bianca took a little more convincing and reassuring before she agreed to climb aboard Festus' back. Since she's a child of Hades, the sky isn't really her favourite place to be.

With that, they were now at a rapid pace travelling to Camp Half-Blood. Lucia felt like she's on a speed boat sailing through a sea of clouds. The weather was nice as well as the cool air brushed against her skin.

After half an hour of traveling, Festus creaked in combinations of short and long intervals.

"What's that, buddy?" Piper asked. Festus creaked some more. "Sure thing. Just land wherever's closest to the city without getting spotted."

"Are you talking to the dragon?" Bianca asked.

"Somewhat." Piper said. "Festus communicates in morse code. Leo taught me some and I can understand it a little bit."

"And he can understand you?"

Piper shrugged. "I don't know how that works either."

Line Break

They landed somewhere in Colorado where it was high up and it was freezing.

Why did it have to be freezing?

"Did he have to land here?" Reyna asked through chattering teeth.

"He said people wouldn't see us up here." Piper explained as she shivered. "Also he needed to go back."

"What do you mean 'go back'?" Reyna asked.

"Well, Festus experienced some unexpected technical difficulties. Something involving the River Lether and a loose hamster in his engine."

"What?" Lucia, Reyna, and Bianca said at the same time.

"Doesn't matter." Piper said. "He's going back to Camp Jupiter to see if Leo could fix it. If it doesn't take long, he'll swoop back in for us. But for now, we're on our own."

"Now I wished I'd taken the SUV." Reyna grumbled. "Let's get to the city first and get some warmer clothes. I feel like my nostrils are freezing."

The town wasn't very far from where they landed so they just went in and bought some warmer clothing.

Now that they were outfitted with proper clothing, they decided to come up with a plan.

"Can we get an plane ticket?" Lucia asked.

"Be my guest if you have that kind of money on you." Reyna said.

"I have enough for a cab ride." Bianca said.

"I can call my dad, but it'll be a while until he gets here." Piper suggested. "Also, my phone's out of juice."

"I thought you Romans and Greeks would have come up with a decent travel plan between two camps by now." Lucia said.

"We have, but not while we're in the middle of Colorado." Reyna rolled her eyes. "Unless you plan on going back to California."

"Uh, no." Lucia said. "Let's just walk for now."