5

After retrieving the hourglass, they made a makeshift camp just outside the Garden of Hesperides. Percy caught a whiff of mint from the eucalyptus trees inside the garden. A tree shined dimly in gold thanks to the Golden Apples.

They sat near a bonfire, the fire crackling quietly in the dark. Percy's hand was sore, but at least the bleeding had stopped. If he could find water, this would heal instantly. But unfortunately, he'd have to wait.

"Here, let me help," Zoe offered. Percy held out his hand. Zoe took out a roll of bandage and a flask of nectar. She poured nectar over the wound, which made Percy wince, then wrapped his hand neatly with bandage. It felt better.

"Thanks," Percy said. He was a bit nervous, since he was there when Zoe had died and put near the stars. Seeing her here was . . . weird. But after what happened a year ago, seeing dead people didn't surprise him.

"I guess I should explain," Zoe said, poking the fire with her hunting knife. The tip glowed bright red.

"Where's the middle age English accent you had?" Percy asked.

"Elysium has a lot of modern dead people," Zoe smiled. "It's not hard to learn."

"Elysium . . ." Percy said it out loud like a distant thought. "I'm guessing you went through the Doors of Death, like every other mortal that came back alive,"

Zoe nodded. "I just passed by, as if I was a ghost. No one saw me. I was guided there by someone, took the elevators up and went back to the living side. Then I stayed in my home, the Garden of Hesperides. That is until you showed up."

If Gaia had anything to do with it, she didn't say anything.

"Well, it's great to have you back," Percy said. "And, um, sorry about what happened to you before,"

Zoe frowned. "What do you mean?"

Percy got nervous. "You know, about you dying and stuff," It got silent for a few minutes. Her eyes seemed so far away, just gazing into the fire.

"It's not your fault," Zoe said finally after a brief of silence. "I fell in combat serving Lady Artemis. I died as a hero. There's no better way to go,"

"I could argue with that," Percy shrugged.

"Anyway, what's your story?" Zoe asked. As soon as she asked that, Percy flinched. "Is there something wrong?"

"No, no," Percy said. He was in a dilemma. Should he tell her? It's not like anyone knew she's alive. Even if she told everyone, no one would remember him.

You can tell her if you want, Gaia said in his head. That was weird, since Gaia had told him not to tell anyone about this. But hey, if Gaia herself gave him the green light, then it was fine by Percy. He needed someone to talk to as well.

"I'm gonna tell you my story," Percy said. "But you have to promise me that no one can ever know,"

Zoe frowned again. "Why?"

"Because of two reasons. One, no one would believe you anyway and two, it's better this way." Percy fixed her with a steely stare. "And I mean no one, can know. Not even Artemis,"

Zoe wasn't sure if he was lying or he was telling the truth. But she sensed that something had changed within the boy. Whether it's good or bad, she wasn't sure.

"I promise."

Percy's expression softened. "After we defeated Kronos, a new prophecy had been issued,"

Zoe nodded. "I know all about that. The war with Gaia and everything."

Percy grimaced. Percy wasn't going to tell her the whole thing. "A few seconds before I beat Gaia, time froze. She warned me that something else is coming. Something bigger than her,"