9

The demigods of Camp Half-Blood had trained for their whole lives. They were prepared if monsters attack. They were prepared to go into combat in a moments notice.

What they didn't prepare for was a full on invasion on Camp Half-Blood.

They were surrounded from both land and sea. Preparations were being made at Thalia's tree, around camp borders and at the beach. They'd expected for the magical borders of the camp to prevent the monsters from entering, but it appears that they could walk through just fine, which was a surprise.

"I don't understand," a camper named Will Solace said. "Why didn't the borders work?"

"We'll have to worry about it later," Chiron said in a serious tone. "I need you to help arrange our defenses. Bring the Hephaestus campers and set some traps around our borders.

Will nodded and took off. The camp was in mayhem. People were running around carrying supplies and weapons. One of them even carried what looked like an enlarged version of a potato gun.

"Does this happen all the time?" Lucia asked.

"We have attacks here and there, but not a full on invasion like this." Chiron said as his horse tail swung nervously. "Someone had planned this."

"Who?" Lucia asked.

"A question that we'll dwell on later." Chiron said. "Lucia, since it's your first day, I don't want you in combat. You will help the healers to drag any wounded demigod out of battle. If things get too intense, I need you to –"

"I can fight, Chiron." Lucia said as she drew her weapon. The silver blade was thin and long, like a toothpick for giants. The hand guard was decorated beautifully, similar to vines wrapping climbing up a wall. The handle itself was golden wrapped with leather.

It was a rapier, not really a suitable weapon for monsters and certainly not meant for Greeks. The Greek fighting style involved slashing and hacking through enemies. The rapier's edge is more for stabbing and slicing since the blade itself is too thin.

Chiron looked doubtful. "Are you sure, Lucia?"

"I've had some fencing lessons when I was younger." Lucia explained. "I'll be fine."

Chiron looked like he wanted to argue, but if Lucia was confident then he had faith in her. Plus, she was a daughter of Poseidon, which would make her a very powerful demigod. "Be safe, Lucia. I would prefer if your father didn't unleash his full wrath on me."

Lucia nodded and headed for the beach. Since she knew that she was the daughter of Poseidon, the water is probably the best place to fight on.

At the beach, wooden barriers and spikes were already placed along the shoreline. Lucia was about to step towards the beach when a camper stopped her.

"Careful," The camper said. "We placed a whole bunch of traps near the beach. They'll be our first line of defense."

Lucia gulped. "Got it. Will it work?"

"It'll vaporize some of them," The camper said nervously. "But I doubt it'll scare them or diminish their numbers substantially. With an army that size, they'll have monsters to spare."

Lucia looked over to the sea. While she couldn't quite see it, she knew that there was some massive movements in the water. She couldn't quite explain it, but it feels like her senses extended as far as the ocean did.

"About a hundred boats," Lucia said. "Maybe more."

"You can see that far?" The camper asked.

"No, I just kinda felt it." Lucia said. "Daughter of Poseidon perks."