Chapter 30 - This Is It

"I must admit, that was perfect timing.", Lt. Colonel Colton says as he walks towards us. I was more than surprised that we were ordered to park close to the planes of the Thunderbirds when Dave and I arrived a few minutes ago. Thunderbird #1 is in his flights suit and still has his safety gear on, even though it is not very visible.

Quickly I finish climbing down the ladder and stand on Dave's left side to salute the superior officer.

"Welcome in Nellis, the home of the Thunderbirds.", he greets us warmly and then tells us with his hand to follow him.

"How was your flight?", he asks us casually, and I look to Dave. Should I answer? Should he answer? What am I actually doing here?

The last question has gone through my mind so often yesterday and today. However yesterday I might have been a little bit too occupied with getting through the aftermaths of the wedding. After Dave and I danced, Hyde interrupted us and swooped me away to dance with me. When he was done, I was confronted by Daphne, Olivia and Ashley who took me back to the bar and made me drink a shot every time I didn't want to answer. And there were way too many of questions to which they didn't get a reply.

"Good, Sir. I hope yours was well too.", I answer and roll my eyes at Dave since he had made no effort to answer.

"Yeah, as it was only a short flight. But next weekend we will head to the east coast and cross country is always tedious. Anyways, how does a lunch push sound to you two?"

"It sounds fantastic, Sir.", Dave now replies as all of us step into the home of the Thunderbirds. Everyone who we pass, greets us excitedly and some of them look impressed, when they notice Dave's red badge on his left shoulder, indicating that he is a graduate from TOPGUN.

"So, this is our air crew flight equipment room. You can store your things in here and our wonderful maintenance Airmen will give them a good check before you head back.", he tells us as we get into the room.

Much to my surprise, it is not as cramped as the ones I am used to. And all the other officers who landed with Lt. Colonel Colton are already putting their gear away. Their heads turn shortly to us, but then they go back to whatever they are doing. I guess that they have a similar attitude about this as all the instructors back in Fallon. And it is quite refreshing.

Thunderbird #1 walks to his dedicated space and starts getting his harness and g-pants off. An airman approaches us while I open the straps of my own harness.

"Major", he says and then quickly corrects himself by calling Dave by his navy rank. I think he did it because of force of habit. Then he turns to address me with my rank and name. Gratefully I hand over my equipment to him.

"Does that actually happen to you often? I mean it has to, right? The Navy and the Coast Guard are the only ones who have different ranks.", I whisper to Dave when the airman walks away. He starts to grin.

"Sometimes people say the rank they are used to. However, I think that the Air Force and the Army got their ranks wrong.", he whispers back, and I shake my head.
"The first time, I heard a member of my ground crew call you captain, I was close to correcting them.", he continues amused.

"Because you have the same name, but for a different rank. Yeah, I get that. It's weird with Wifi.", I tell him.

"You were at the air show in Reno, right?", Thunderbird #4 interrupts us. Number four is the position of the slot and currently Major Matthew "Blaze" Davis holds this spot.

"Yes, we were. It was good.", Dave answers casually.

"Don't be too excited about our performance. But it's probably better that way, otherwise you will be ignored by other navy officers.", Major Davis jokes and then I can see him looking at the name tag of Dave's flight suit. Yeah, he is clearly impressed.
"Jabba, I presume.", the major continues and Dave nods.